The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM

jayodonn is on a distinguished road
Default 2pc or 4pc rods?

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help with rod selection. I live in RI and plan to take up fly fishing this year for Stripers, Blues, Tunies and Bonito. I've done some reading here and other places and spoke to locals at the tackel shop and believe 10wt to be the right setup. Looking at reels I believe the best option is Teton in my price range. Can be had for about $150 on Ebay. Oh, I'll be fishing from shore and kayak if that makes a difference.

Now, looking at rods they seem to come in 2pc or 4pc. I really won't be traveling so my thought is 2pc is stronger. I'm thinking TFO Signature series (2pc is $110) is a good beginner rod and lifetime warrenty is appealing. Now, I'd be willing to spend a little more money if it got me a better rod but the higher priced rods are all 4pc. Am I paying for better components or the ability to travel?

Any suggestions for other rod makers in the $150 range would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: 2pc or 4pc rods?

Well, you're basically paying for more manufacturing and assembly.

I suppose a decent comparison is to think of the cost per foot of seating for a couch versus a matching chair. Per foot of seating the chair will be much pricier because the ends are what is most difficult to build. Moving over to Fly rods- ferrules (joints)= chair/couch ends.

As long as you're buying from a manufacturer of TFO quality or better, the strength of ferrules are not an issue, provided you keep them fully inserted.

I strongly recommend getting a 4pc rod because they fit in your car more easily, and eventually you will get a chance to travel with it. Possibilities- Permit in the keys/bahamas/yucatan, Roosters in baja, kings in alaska, etc.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jayodonn,

One advantage of the 2 piece is they are slightly lighter. All of my rods but one is a 2 piece. When I was in Alaska I bought the 2 piece thinking they cast better and would be more reliable. When I returned to the lower 48 I bought a new 9'6" 5wt sage and it is a two piece. My last 8wt was a 4 piece and I am done with two piece rods. Any new rod I buy will be a 4 piece due to the convenience of travel. If you don't think you will be flying then you will be OK with the two piece. This gives you a great excuse to buy another rod if you ever make a trip.

With the modern techniques of building 4 piece rods you don't gain anything over the 2 piece rod except portability.

Frank
Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Appreciate your input. If there's little to no difference in strength between 2pc/4pc then you're right, 4pc will be more convenient!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM

derekw68 is on a distinguished road

I live on the coast and all of my rods are 4 piece and I have not had any trouble. Plus with the 4 piece they are always in the car with me, then I can stop anytime I see a new area to try.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

With todays technology i cant tell the difference in preformance so i use 4pc, i fit 2 complete outfits behind the truck seat and always have my stuff with me.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM

fischerofmen77 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm also from RI. My saltwater rod is a 4pc and many of the saltwater fly fishermen I know use the 4 pc because it is easily packed in your car or luggage for a trip.
My saltwater reels are Teton and Redington. Both are great. Have you gone by the new fly fishing only shop in Coventry ?? It is called River and Riptide Anglers. It is off RT 95 S at the RT 3 exit. Go right off the exit and it is down the road about 1.5 miles on the left.
See Steve and he can point you in the right direction on anything fly fishing (fresh and saltwater). Tell him your on a specific budget. They also take care of you if something breaks and stand behind the products they sell.
We also have a club for fly tying, but everyone helps you with the fly fishing info as well. United Fly Tyers of RI. (Home Of The United Fly Tiers Of Rhode Island on web). Check out the website.
Tight Lines.
John F.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayodonn View Post
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help with rod selection. I live in RI and plan to take up fly fishing this year for Stripers, Blues, Tunies and Bonito. I've done some reading here and other places and spoke to locals at the tackel shop and believe 10wt to be the right setup. Looking at reels I believe the best option is Teton in my price range. Can be had for about $150 on Ebay. Oh, I'll be fishing from shore and kayak if that makes a difference.

Now, looking at rods they seem to come in 2pc or 4pc. I really won't be traveling so my thought is 2pc is stronger. I'm thinking TFO Signature series (2pc is $110) is a good beginner rod and lifetime warrenty is appealing. Now, I'd be willing to spend a little more money if it got me a better rod but the higher priced rods are all 4pc. Am I paying for better components or the ability to travel?

Any suggestions for other rod makers in the $150 range would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
check the used or demo market for two piece for saltwater 10 in loomis or sage.. there are good buys in two piece even if they are the older models.

I have used a teton 12LA on tarpon...while it is not my primary reel...it worked..I purchased it on ebay...PM me...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM

Appreciate all the info! Can't wait for Spring!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jay,

I re-read your original post and it sounds like you don't know how to fly cast. Let me warn you that learning to cast with a 10wt rod is going to be an ordeal for you. A lighter line rod would be much easier to learn how to cast. If you buy a 10wt see if the shop won't give you some lessons with a lighter rod. Before you buy that 10wt try it out. The fly shop should be able to do that in the parking lot. Anything is possible but I think it is just going to be plain hard for you to cast a 10wt rod.

Frank