The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting an old friend

Yesterday was my first time fishing Great Kills Harbor since Hurricane Sandy. I figured it was time to see how my childhood playground had fared. The Marinas on both sides of the harbor were of course trashed, along with some homes.
The harbor never had a huge entrance but Sandy brought in even more sand, at low tide I was able to cast across the entire channel. So much sand was brought it that a work barge that was placed just off the entrance had run aground. I was able to wade completely around the barge and never saw more than waist high water.
I grew up in this harbor, catching fish, riding my bike off the bulkhead, all the things kids do, and a few they shouldn't. I was afraid it was gone, but it wasn't. The sun still came up, the water was still there, and the fish will be here soon
There wasn't much action, but there was some bait in the water so things should be heating up soon, enjoy the pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

There used to be a 12' privacy wall here to protect the private marina from the riff raff (like me). I think the view is better now

A few brave souls have returned

She's not floating today...

This is what's left of the channel, maybe 4-5' of water at low tide. For perspective, what you see on the far left of this pic if the far side of the barge in the previous pic!

That's where I came in. There was always a nice flat here, but nothing like this. I was standing in thigh deep water when I took this.
theboz likes this.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 05-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Visiting an old friend

So.............

Regarding fishing the area do you think it will be better post Sandy or are the fish no longer evident there. I'm guessing the channel has filled in substantially, yes?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
So.............

Regarding fishing the area do you think it will be better post Sandy or are the fish no longer evident there. I'm guessing the channel has filled in substantially, yes?
Saltwater fishing has been pretty good. Most of the migrations had already taken place or were at the tail end so the fish had moved on. Bottom fish are still there but we're having a tough time finding them because the entire sea bottom has changed. Most of my GPS coordinates for wrecks and rock piles are useless now because everything has shifted, Sandy shook the snow globe.
We did unfortunately lose a few freshwater lakes/ponds. Three of the ponds I fished regularly were over run by saltwater then emptied by the receding tides. Those will take some time to restore.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 05-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Thanks Marco! Got me a little choked up . Glad it's still fishable. Visited a bunch of my old spots on the island last month and many changes some good some well time will tell. Good memories!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Thanks Marco! Got me a little choked up . Glad it's still fishable. Visited a bunch of my old spots on the island last month and many changes some good some well time will tell. Good memories!
I'm actually hoping for a fantastic kayak season there this year. With both marinas under construction and only a handful of sailboats moored, there will be minimal boat traffic to push down the fish. If I'm figuring it right I'm in for a banner year