The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road
Default Martha's Vineyard fishing derby????

Anyone else fish this I have been fishing it since 07 and absolutely love it. Pretty intense basically the whole island is obsessed with fishing from mid September to mid October . Just seeing if anyone else has witnessed the craziness of the derby. And at the same time the magic of it because any cast could be a winner of the boat or truck. Not to mention bragging rights for the rest of your life.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Martha's Vineyard fishing derby????

I've actually considered giving it a shot this year.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
I've actually considered giving it a shot this year.
Do it Grouch you won't regret it it's a great time in a great place.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM

piperc75 is on a distinguished road

Reading "The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish" by David Kinney right now. Great book about the derby.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperc75 View Post
Reading "The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish" by David Kinney right now. Great book about the derby.
Yup great read. I read it every year before I fish it ha ha just a tradition. Speaking of derby it starts in a little over a week anyone fishing it???? I can't wait.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm headed to mid-coast Maine all next week to fish.
The cape has been extremely disappointing lately and it's only partially to do with the seals

How to Protect and Restore Striped Bass Populations | Fly Fishing in Salt Waters
Quote:
The outer beaches of Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, Massachusetts, have seemed to be the hardest hit, with the shore fishing getting worse each season. Many anglers began to blame the drop-off of striped bass on the growing population of seals in these areas. And it’s accurate to say that beach fishing there is off more so than boat fishing. Without a doubt, the effects of well over 120,000 seals not only chasing stripers but also consuming them makes matters worse
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

Rip, thanks for the link. I've always liked reading Tabory's work. I bought one of his books "Inshore Flyfishing" when I started flyfishing the salt (well at least brackish) in the middle 90's. That book has made me want to fish the surf up in New England since I got it. I still haven't had money and opportunity collide to make the trip.

I don't really support ending the commercial fishery. What I would really like to see in this area is much more stringent management of the Chesapeake and it's tributaries. By that I mean, the rockfish commercial harvest, oysters crabs,etc. Virginia finally stopped the inshore bunker boats a few years ago. The bycatch/kill of the big cows was really heavy. And so many of the bunker fish were killed before the spawn that their populations were decimated. The taking of allewives is outlawed finally.Their runs have been almost non exhistant locally in recent years. These are the main food sources for the rockfish coming up the Bay/tribs to spawn. With the main food sources lacking, the rockfish can't enter the spawn in as healthy condition as they should. They are also filters as are the oysters. This is not even touching the commercial poaching problem. That has gotten way worse in the last ten or so years. Sorry for the derail, maybe it should be a different thread.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
I've always liked reading Tabory's work. I bought one of his books "Inshore Flyfishing" when I started flyfishing the salt (well at least brackish) in the middle 90's. That book has made me want to fish the surf up in New England since I got it. I still haven't had money and opportunity collide to make the trip.
I can't tell you how many times that I've fished that exact same rip where Tabory caught the fish that's on the cover of his book.
Nowadaze you wouldn't catch a striper there if you stood there all weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 AM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

That's sad to hear. That was a fishery that fly and light tackle guys down here dreamed about. With very little productive public shore here that is fly friendly it makes it hard to fish without a boat. With all the structure up there it just makes it so enticing.

Are the chopper blues still doing good up there? We haven't had the big 10-12# choppers in numbers here since the late 80's early 90's. But I am catching a mess of 10"-14" snappers near the mouth of the Potomac.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I have been fishing MV for decades. A great book about MV fishing and some of its legendary fishermen is Reading the Water, by my former dentist, the late Bob Post. My neighbor Whit Manter (who has his own chapter in the book) remembered Bob by saying, "Man, that guy loved to fish."

Reading the Water: Adventures in Surf Fishing on Martha's Vineyard: Robert Post, Henry Lyman: 9781592283590: Amazon.com: Books Reading the Water: Adventures in Surf Fishing on Martha's Vineyard: Robert Post, Henry Lyman: 9781592283590: Amazon.com: Books
bowsie15 likes this.