The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 AM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough
Default Waterproofs for the tropics?!

I'm going to Belize next month for my first flats fishing trip. I've pretty much got all my kit together for the trip. Spent the past few weeks tying up a box of bonefish flies, which as a relative newbie to tying I was pretty pleased with, took the box to my local fly shop and was told it didn't need any supplementing

In most of the equipment lists I've read it suggests to bring some rain wear (it's the start of the rainy season in Belize). Apparently it can be quite cold when running to the flats in the panga. So my question is, do you guys take rainwear to the tropics, or just get wet then dry out? If so can you recommend me a breathable shell jacket? Ideally it would be packable (ie fold up into itself).

Cheers,
Alex.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default Re: Waterproofs for the tropics?!

Alex,
I would take a generic breathable shell. I have a waterproof Marmot shell that is lightweight, packable (folds into one of it's pockets) and has good breathability. Other companies - North Face, Patagonia also make their own versions. Pick one based on your budget, fit etc.
Hardyreels and MoscaPescador like this.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Alex,
I would take a generic breathable shell. I have a waterproof Marmot shell that is lightweight, packable (folds into one of it's pockets) and has good breathability. Other companies - North Face, Patagonia also make their own versions. Pick one based on your budget, fit etc.
What he said.

Dennis

PS: Have a great trip!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks guys, i'll make sure there is a packable shell in my boat bag. See what i can get at Amazon.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

I have a Footjoy short sleeve golf rain shirt a buddy gave me. Works like a champ. It's one size larger than I normally wear and slips over my regular shirt. I had my daughter add some Velcro to tighten the neck to help keep water out. Coleman makes an inexpensive suit you can get at Wal-Mart. Comes with a pouch for the jacket and pants. I've used it in some serious downpours and stayed dry. Breathes well and the price is right.

The frogg toggs, not too impressed. Light, easy to pack, but I always felt damp and they start to leak around the seams quickly.

My gore-tex stuff is a bit too warm for the tropics.

For regular clothes, I wear the Columbia or Magellan shirts, and shorts that the surfer guys use. They are very comfortable and dry in minutes.

My .02 on this.

Good luck on the trip! I would love to make it down there one day.

Last edited by fr8dog; 05-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Some useful tips fr8dog, thanks.

I just ordered a Marmot Precip from Rock Creek Outfitters, they had 20% off and free shipping, so was $79 delivered.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

anything with Gore-Tex will be waterproof and breathes well, is windproof as well. Cabelas/BPS have some decent deals on at times well, sometimes the jacket or pants will be on sale/clearance for $100 each, well worth the $$ IMO. Enjoy your trip
Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Agreed with all the above and definitely bring a rain coat. We got caught in a few different rain storms over 4 days when in Belize. I have a lightweight gortex jacket from Eastern Mountain Sports that works really well as it packs down very small.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:20 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by almonde View Post
Some useful tips fr8dog, thanks.

I just ordered a Marmot Precip from Rock Creek Outfitters, they had 20% off and free shipping, so was $79 delivered.
I have the Marmot Precip, and I was actually going to recommend that to you before I read you already purchased it. I have the pants as well, and use it for my golf rain gear. Packs small, waterproof, and it actually breathes pretty well.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Nylon pullover wind breaker always works for me. Drys fast and not much to pack. Never had much of a problem drying off in the tropics and actually a good rain storm was refreshing at times !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser