The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Whiting (Silver Hake) used to catch them by the garbage can full at the Mud Hole in January ! Not as much anymore!
I actually had the All Tackle World Record for them at one time but it has since been broken by a guy in Maine. Good eating! I also had Robins and they aren't bad defiantly similiar tasting to Ling and Whiting!
Yup, I remember going out with my father and uncle. We would come home and has epic fishfrys . They're all but gone now. Nobody even targets them anymore here.
theboz likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Yup, I remember going out with my father and uncle. We would come home and has epic fishfrys . They're all but gone now. Nobody even targets them anymore here.
You made me think of something my Dad used to talk about . He always spoke of epic crabbing somewhere in SI . Have you ever heard or witnessed this? Just curious since we are hashing old fish stuff! We had some good fish frys with those whiting as well!

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Used to go frost fishing as well if you know what that is!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
You made me think of something my Dad used to talk about . He always spoke of epic crabbing somewhere in SI . Have you ever heard or witnessed this? Just curious since we are hashing old fish stuff! We had some good fish frys with those whiting as well!

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Used to go frost fishing as well if you know what that is!
All the creeks that feed the Kill Van Kull are loaded witb monster Blue Claws. Unfortunately the water conditions there now are terrible and I won't even kayak it, nevermind harvest crabs out of it We used to ride our bikes there to catch Killies before Gulp was around.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Some action

I lived a block from Long Island Sound for a couple years while in high school, back in the day when sand worms, blood worms, clams and flounder were abundant in the clear water of the Sound.

For those of you who like eating flounder and spin fish for them with your kids, they don't know the difference between night crawlers and sea worms, and healthy night crawlers are much tougher, don't bite, and are very easy to attract with poplar chips (tulipwood).

The chips are availabe in profusion at any millwork shop in New England. It is great mulch for gardens and used extensively in horse stalls - so "used" poplar chips are even better mulch for your garden.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
All the creeks that feed the Kill Van Kull are loaded witb monster Blue Claws. Unfortunately the water conditions there now are terrible and I won't even kayak it, nevermind harvest crabs out of it We used to ride our bikes there to catch Killies before Gulp was around.
As good as Gulp is (especially on Crappies and Fluke)
I still like Killies better. When I was a kid went trout fishing for first time in a tidal stream thought I brought home Brookies till my Dad told me they were Killies. 7 and 8 inch spawning Killies!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I lived a block from Long Island Sound for a couple years while in high school, back in the day when sand worms, blood worms, clams and flounder were abundant in the clear water of the Sound.

For those of you who like eating flounder and spin fish for them with your kids, they don't know the difference between night crawlers and sea worms, and healthy night crawlers are much tougher, don't bite, and are very easy to attract with poplar chips (tulipwood).

The chips are availabe in profusion at any millwork shop in New England. It is great mulch for gardens and used extensively in horse stalls - so "used" poplar chips are even better mulch for your garden.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
You got that right!! The price of a flat of sandworms or bloodworms today you could put a down payment on a new car! I use mussels anyway.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser