The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Bonefish Andros Relatively Cheap DIY

Got back...with only about 10-15 noseeums and 4-6 misqs no doctor bites...

1/ RT Dayton to Fort Lauderdale 208.00; RT Lauderdale to Androstown 398.00 including all taxes/customs...as an aside...this is the 8th time I've returned US at the main international at Lauderdale and US Immig and Customs are great...not at all like the Nassau or Freeport US Immig and Customs
2/ Stayed on Fresh creek with old crony who has a house but computing an equivalent food and lodging at either Hank's or Chiccharnie would be 100-150 per day.
3/ Boat rental from Hank's( only place to rent)was 85.00 per day plus gas(20.00 for the two days) an old 13' whaler with 15 OMC fished first two days Saturday and Sunday...weather was bad...cloud cover...winter sun angle...poor site conditions...about 4-5 good hours for both days...wind not bad under 10...but the good hours did not correspond to the good tide.. whch is .dead low then follow the incoming further onto the flats up Fresh Creek...saw and casted to about 15 fish for these two days singles and doubles...caught one first day and two second day 5-6 lb...all fish sited were large...took boat back...anticipating weather...I was using a 9wt TCR blank with Ti recoils a 3N Abel with Airflo Ridge Tropic 9 wt
4/ Monday weather was bad no sun wind 15+ drank and ate conch salad and steamed fish stew
5/ Tuesday went outside with Bahamian friend in 20 footer for food fish...he was using a Crystal Electric reel and we were deep drop fishing his buoy/anchor in 800feet and then went to Somerset Beach to wade the last three hours incoming saw 10-15 fish got two 4-5 lb.
6/ Wednesday...this was the best wade day I have ever had including those with a guide...went to Young Sound...started slack low about 10 am and fished five hours...sun in and out but no wind flat calm...could see tailers feeding on the incoming tide all big fish singles and doubles...no schools... 6lb plus...caught four: 8-9 lb, 7-8 lb, two 6-7. Saw 20-25 tailers...the first fish caught was the biggest...in about 12 inches of water...was in the water about 30 minutes so I was organized and my arm fresh and I did not have 50 feet of line btween my legs and under foot because I was not watching the tidal push...I was using my "demo bargain" Stu Apte Diamondback 8wt from Cortland...Cortland 444 Tropic Plus...and a first model Orvis Vortex #6 and a 6 green white clouser with red eyes sparsely tied
7/ Thursday...this was fun day with Prescott Smith who owns Stafford Creek Lodge...who we have known since he started guiding...tried out his new 18 HPX Maverick in the Bights...went to see his father Charlie Smith on Pot Key...Bang Bang Club...went to see the construction of his brother Andy Smith's small lodge on Shad Key about a mile from Pot Key...went fishing for big fish...did not get any double D's but saw 5-6 double Ds... we each got two in the 5-7range...but the big ones showed up in the mid/late afternoon...it was blowing 15+ with 20 at times and the sun required Prescot to pole into the wind...needless to say...the fish were not being sited until 60-70 feet and we were casting at 30-40 mostly by vector rather than me or mike actually picking up...the fish story...I was using the TCR 9 and when everyting went right I could get an accurate 40-60 foot cast out but that took perfect timing of the hauls...mostly when it was right I overcasted and lined the fish...so I decided to switch to the TCR 10 but it had a Merkin on it...put the 9 down started the 10 when Prescot saw the Merkin he said change that...then no...get the 9...no cast the 10...he's big at 50 coming in...put the Merkin about 3 feet in front...raced in put the brakes on and slowly turned away ...Pres said don't get that big being stupid...all the fish caught the whole trip were very aggressive takers on most anything but that permit merkin...
8/ Remarkable gear impression...in the wind on Thursday the very stiff Airflo Ridge Tropic 9 on the TCR blank really performed for me...it would coil a bit and I would give it a step stretch...it really worked when my haul timing was right...my problem was not maintaining the same power in the casting stroke when increasing the haul power...but when everything was right I could get 50-55 feet of line plus nine foot leader with fly turnover into 20 kt wind but that was about 40-50% of the time...practice practice in the wind...I suspect the Ridge will not be as stiff when the temps are in the 90s

But what I learned on this trip was that you can catch decent sized bonefish DIY wading in Young Sound or boat rental from Hank's...but Young Sound is huge 5-6 square miles of wading and you don't need a boat to get to it ...one could fish four or five days on Young Sound and not fish the same water...while it's not cheap but it can be substantially less than four or five days of lodge fishing on Andros and that's two in a boat...if you are a single in the boat, the pricing of that Andros fishing compares to high season tarpon permit bonefish in Key West staying at four star plus accomodations and one in a boat.

On this trip I maked all my lines with a marker at 50 and 70 feet on the line...I am going to add a 30 foot marker...cause every guide and me have judge distances differently...
Old 02-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Bonefish Andros Relatively Cheap DIY

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your very interesting report. Did you get any pictures?

Frank
Old 02-03-2008, 06:21 AM

Frank:

Got some... working on transfer from camera...had problem when I was wading alone and trying to get shots...my old sony dsc-p100 was hard to operate holding it in one hand and the rod with the fish in the other...

First mistake I am going to correct is going back to bifocals on my polars...thought I would save money but that was foolish economy on my part...lenses were too big to look down or over them...so had to take them off to re-tie or check the fly when wading...and then fumbling for the camera I would usually reset the wrong control when trying to take the fish picture with fish in water and I could not see the settings through the lenses.

This following routine should have been filmed for a " John Cleese on Fly Fishing"...my biggest bonefish of the trip and biggest ever unguided...rod with fish in left hand...right hand fumbling with the camera...sunglasses in my mouth so I can see the dials to reset the camera...trying to shoot the fish quickly so as not to hurt it...stepping on a conch shell with make/shift boots...trying to compose the picture through the very small viewfinder because the LCD was useless in direct sunlight...shot the bottom the fish was not in it...camera back to pants pocket..polars to shirt pocket...stoop to release fish...sunglasses into the water... best outcome a good release and no sharks on the flat....I was real close to sending that camera into orbit...
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 AM

SouthernSteve is on a distinguished road

Is $398 from Fort Lauderdale to Androstown a good deal? With that fare, you had more than $600 in total airfare.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Re: Bonefish Andros Relatively Cheap DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSteve View Post
Is $398 from Fort Lauderdale to Androstown a good deal? With that fare, you had more than $600 in total airfare.
Steve:

I was a single...so a charter out was out...cannot get a cheap flight from either indy or dayton or cincy or louisville to nassau...and then take western air to andros..

the 398 included all taxes, bahamas taxes and us rentry...and it was late booked.. I have had it as low as 338.00

got any suggestions??
Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
This following routine should have been filmed for a " John Cleese on Fly Fishing"...my biggest bonefish of the trip and biggest ever unguided...rod with fish in left hand...right hand fumbling with the camera...sunglasses in my mouth so I can see the dials to reset the camera...trying to shoot the fish quickly so as not to hurt it...stepping on a conch shell with make/shift boots...trying to compose the picture through the very small viewfinder because the LCD was useless in direct sunlight...shot the bottom the fish was not in it...camera back to pants pocket..polars to shirt pocket...stoop to release fish...sunglasses into the water... best outcome a good release and no sharks on the flat....I was real close to sending that camera into orbit...
Bonefish
Now thats some funny stuff there !---It sounds like a scene in my movie---the trip sounds great---thanks for the report
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
Steve:

I was a single...so a charter out was out...cannot get a cheap flight from either indy or dayton or cincy or louisville to nassau...and then take western air to andros..

the 398 included all taxes, bahamas taxes and us rentry...and it was late booked.. I have had it as low as 338.00

got any suggestions??
BF41,

My mother-in-law lives in Vandalia, when we fly up to see her we use Delta and Delta Connection. they offer Lauderdale to Atlanta and Atlanta to Dayton fairly cheap.

there are several "private" lines that have dailies to the bahamas.

Florida to Bahamas Flights, charters and cargo with flights to the Bahamas, Abacos - Yellow Air Taxi - Bahamas Charter Airline
Island Air Charters - Bahamas Charters - Bimini, Cat Cay Scheduled Flights - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Bahamasair - The National Airline of The Bahamas - Your first choice for travel to the Bahamas, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Orlando, Florida, proving online booking, e-ticketing and a great frequent flyer program. Book your getaway tod
Island Express flys to the Abacos islands Treasure Cay and Marsh Harbour

I use these airlines to move freight to the bahamas, sometimes there is a charter flight that isnt full and you could pick up a seat for under $300 bucks. check with them before you book to see if this price includes taxes and return flights. might want to look into American Airlines they have a direct flight out of FLL to Nassau. I think there is a ferry to Andros from Nassau not quite sure.

hope this helps the next trip to the pajamas mon.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

great info here y'all.

Just curious, is there such a thing as a super cheap boat ride to get from Miami/Lauderdale to the Bahamas?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
great info here y'all.

Just curious, is there such a thing as a super cheap boat ride to get from Miami/Lauderdale to the Bahamas?
Hi Cliff,

Super cheap boat rides can be a thrill. I was working on an Island of the west coast of Panama and had to get to a plantation town on the mainland. I flew over but could not fly back for a week. I went down to the harbor to locate a boat to take me back to the Island. There was some nice boats so I thought it would be an easy thing to do. I asked around as best I could with my broken Spanish and lined up the cheapest boat for the next morning. When I met the fellow with the boat we walked out to the end of the pier passing all of the good boats and there sat a dug out canoe with a 25hp outboard. I thought, what the heck and got aboard. The thing was just wide enough to sit in. We were clipping along pretty good getting wet at every wave and he stopped and said we were over the reef. I had asked about a place to fish and he was showing me his spot. I was splashing the water with my hand just checking the temp and looking back at him. He hollered "No, No" and I looked around and there were several big shark fins circuling the canoe. One came up and actually brushed the boat. That was enough for me and off we went. The was no danger but it was exciting.

Frank
Old 02-06-2008, 05:25 PM

TB:
the fixed taxes entry and re-entry charges from FLL is 65.00..cannot get to nassau from indy, dayton, cincy, or louisville cheap anymore...I do you ship "stuff" to Andros ...as to charter I'll check out next time...checked the june rate it was down from about 400 to 280 including the above 65...