The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default I must be doing this wrong.....

Spent 2-1/2 hours this afternoon fishing the Honeymoon Island causeway. Only caught one little snapper. Can somebody offer some advice on Florida Gulf coast fly fishing? Am I in the wrong spot? Wrong time of day? Wrong tide?

Suggestions, please?

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 PM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I must be doing this wrong.....

Honeymoon is tough. Lots of pressure and the snook scene has been pretty thin over the last fews years. I live about three miles from there. First off, get off of the causeway and go to Honeymoon and fish the dog beach and the front (West) side of the beach first thing in the morning until about 11:00 or so. Walk slow and look for snook in the swash. They will be very shallow. No need to even get in the water. Throw small white baitfish patterns. Let me know how you do.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Thanks! I'll try that. In fact, I did go to the island first and tried the beach, but the surf was up and so was the wind. I made a few casts but the surf just washed my line back up a few seconds later, so I gave up and tried the causeway.

I tried a Clouser and a Deciever without success. Does a steady retrieve work best, or a jerky one? (The one snapper I caught took a shrimp pattern.)

Is there any way to access the inland side of Honeymoon? There's a sea wall in the area near the Nature Center; I wasn't sure that I could climb back up if I did get down into the water.

Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Suggestions, please?
Get to a fly shop. And, keep fishing.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road

No fly shop around there. Not for a few hours.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spug View Post
They will be very shallow.
Like within 15 feet of the beach. I have been reading your questions and felt like responding to all of them. However your questions are so general, Ive got 25 years worth of trial and error in this area. Where are you planning to go next and maybe I can help.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
I tried a Clouser and a Deciever without success. Does a steady retrieve work best, or a jerky one? (The one snapper I caught took a shrimp pattern.)
Until you figure out what's working, you need to try every retrieve you can think of.
Gamefish in the surf expect to see bait fish trying to escape. Make sure that the fish sees the fly and then try and take it away from them.
Crabs and shrimp do the opposite. They'll try to hide and sink to the bottom.

Alot of times a steady retrieve is best, but Clouser minnows are jig flies. If you're not letting them sink a bit between strips, then you might as well be using something different. Most of the time the fish will hit when it's sinking and there's no tension on the line, so be ready.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechroniclesofmasi View Post
However your questions are so general, Ive got 25 years worth of trial and error in this area. Where are you planning to go next and maybe I can help.

I'll probably go to Honeymoon again next time I go, but I doubt if it'll be this weekend due to the holiday crowds. I'd like to get into some trout, and I've been told Honeymoon is a good trout location. I'm not sure what tide condition I shoud try for, or how much it matters. Also not sure about weather or time of day.

Yesterday the tide was running out while I was there, but where I was fishing was largely dictated by wind conditions. Maybe a different spot would've been better with that tide.

I quit fishing about 3:00 when some thunderstorms started moving in. I would have liked to fish longer, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of standing in the ocean waving a rod while lightning is in the area.

My local fly shop recommended a shrimp pattern for trout, but I've also been told to try a topwater popper when the water is murky.

With the shrimp pattern, I've been letting it sink, then retrieving it with short (4" to 6") jerks. I've tried using a steady retrieve with Clousers and Deceivers, as well as short strips with pauses.

Any suggestions you can offer will be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 AM

Arrow Re: I must be doing this wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
I'll probably go to Honeymoon again next time I go, but I doubt if it'll be this weekend due to the holiday crowds. I'd like to get into some trout, and I've been told Honeymoon is a good trout location. I'm not sure what tide condition I shoud try for, or how much it matters. Also not sure about weather or time of day.

Yesterday the tide was running out while I was there, but where I was fishing was largely dictated by wind conditions. Maybe a different spot would've been better with that tide.

I quit fishing about 3:00 when some thunderstorms started moving in. I would have liked to fish longer, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of standing in the ocean waving a rod while lightning is in the area.

My local fly shop recommended a shrimp pattern for trout, but I've also been told to try a topwater popper when the water is murky.

With the shrimp pattern, I've been letting it sink, then retrieving it with short (4" to 6") jerks. I've tried using a steady retrieve with Clousers and Deceivers, as well as short strips with pauses.

Any suggestions you can offer will be appreciated.

Trout = trout do pass honeymoon isl during migrations to the gulf, however right now with water temps in the 80's they start out shallow and by 10am they are set up in 8-15 feet of grass bottom flats. You wont find trout right now wading. I mean you can but not consistently.

Honeymoon Isl is known for their large snook, just Google those two things and you will get all sorts of tips. None of the tips will give you any help with fly fishing because predominantly live bait is used.

If you not over grass or under a dock a shrimp pattern will not do too well.

In Florida when the water gets in the 80's "most" (people will argue) shallow water species, from 10am - 6pm will be in a deep hole, under a dock, under mangroves, or on a deep shady sea wall. Just think where you go when you get hot? That is where they go. The only way to get a good bite going during the heat is to live chum. Which is not a fly type of tactic.

Top water wont get too much action after sun-up in the summer.

So the moral to this story is that from shore, or wading is not very productive when the water is this hot. You can catch fish but nothing on fly that you wont have to work for. (like 1,000 casts)

This is the same for all of your other posts regarding areas like Fort De-Soto, and encompassing areas.

Getting a canoe or kayak is the cheapest way to find some deeper shady areas to fish in the summer for the fly guy's like us.

Now there is a lot more to this area but I get sick of typing so I'm cutting this short.

There are not many anglers on this forum in this area so I will check for your post and try to help the best I can.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks much! Makes sense.

I'll have to arrange a weekend where I can drive over the night before and get on the water early, while it's still cool. It's ~2 hours from home to Honeymoon.

Any areas besides Honeymoon that you'd recommend?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Where do you live?