The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Rod for Turks and Caicos (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/324678-rod-turks-caicos.html)

rmh2282 07-09-2013 09:06 PM

Rod for Turks and Caicos

So far all of my fly experience has been with a 6 wt in rivers picking out trout and various pan fish. But I've got a trip to Turks and Caicos coming up and I'm wondering if my gear is up to the task or if I should pick up this:

https://www.intheriffle.com/store/SA...shing-Kit.html

(I can get it for about 70 dollars from walmart or amazon but this had the best description).

Should I even be worried about my 6 wt not being up to the task?

Is it worth it to just keep my 6 wt out of the salt/sand?

Is there a better rod out there for about the same amount of money, maybe in a 9 wt that you guys have seen? (Keeping costs low on this one since beach vacations and needing something bigger than a 6 wt isn't the norm for this guy)

Just wanted to bounce these ideas off you guys.

Thanks.

MoscaPescador 07-09-2013 11:20 PM

Re: Rod for Turks and Caicos

I am assuming that you are targeting bonefish.

A six weight could be used for bonefish in mild conditions. I would only recommend it if you were targeting smaller ones (less than two pounds). You would also need a reel that has more than 100 yards backing capacity. Keep in mind that you can obtain more capacity by using thin super braided line. The reel must have a great drag, as well. I would not trust an average trout reel up against a bonefish.

A seven or an eight weight would be a good call. My preference is for an eight weight just in case the wind picks up.

I have never been a big fan of lower price pointed packages for saltwater. Usually the Achilles' heel of the rig is the reel. I cannot comment on the reel in the package, but I have seen some package reels fail in saltwater environments. Most package reels in that price point are just oversized trout reels.

If you are trying to stay under $200, Redington sells a Pursuit saltwater outfit. I'm still not a huge fan of it, but I like it better than the SA outfit. The rod casts much better than the SA rod. The reel is a large arbor rather than an old school standard arbor. The line is a Rio Mainstream Saltwater line.

If you must go for any premade outfit, make sure to do the following.

1. Before you go on your trip, retie the connection between backing and the fly line. I recommend making a Double Blood Knot on the backing. Make a whipped finished loop on the back end of the fly line. Do a loop to loop connection between the two. I would tie a butt section of .024" monofilament. Put a Perfection Loop on the terminal end of butt section. Connect your leader to the butt section with a loop to loop connection.

2. After a day of fishing, give your rig a thorough rinsing. This will flush any sand out. Plus it will wash away any saltwater.

Good luck on your search.

Dennis

theboz 07-09-2013 11:57 PM

Depends on your quarry. Although Turks and Caicos has bones its not high on the guide list there. Looking at the other species available you might want to move up to a 9 wt something with some backbone all dependent on what you seek.

half fast 07-10-2013 03:47 PM

If you want an inexpensive combo, take a look at the 9' 8wt version of this:

Cabela's Wind River Combo : Cabela's

On sale for $90 right now. The reel is a large arbor cast aluminum design with a Rulon drag. I have one of the reels that I'm using on my bass rod and I've been happy with it so far.

nick k 07-11-2013 11:37 AM

I would also recommend a stiff 8 or a 9 for saltwater if you were to get another rod. A 7/8 is not far from your current 6wt, and you don't want to buy a rod just for one specific use case on one trip. You will want a rod you can then use after that in more saltwater situations. While a 7/8 is not bad for some saltwater, it will be a little undergunned if you plan to do some windy waters or larger game fishing (such as surf casting for stripers) later on.

A 6wt and an 8wt (or a 6wt and a 9wt) will be able to cover pretty much all species you will ever be likely to target as a casual fisherman.

lisprivateer 07-15-2013 08:50 AM

I would suggest a 8 or 9. When I was there, alot of presentations were fairly long shots. 60-80' casts were common. With 10-15 knot winds casting will be much easier. Good luck. Also great advice from Mosca. Good luck. Ryan.