The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tbum2020
  • 2 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default Cownose Of A Fly?

So I was cruising the beaches on the bay as I normally do when I am bored in NJ. I spot some activity, roll up on it, and its cownose rays breaking water as far as the eye can see. I have never seen this before. They looked as if they were feeding, at least I thought so. I started thinking they might be eating peanut bunker, then sand shrimp, or maybe cinderworms because they were all over the night before. They wouldn't take anything I tried. Are they spawning? are they eating something else? At-least I got this sweet picture that is basically a ray breaking water next to me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cownose Of A Fly?

The rays are mating right now, what you saw was most likely and abundances of male rays chasing females. When there are many males chasing a female it seems to turn away the female. If this is so you should have seen pectoral fins sticking out of the water as this is a technique females use to avoid mating. The huge splashes you would have seen are the males attempting to grab the females pectoral fin with their mouth to mate. The splashes can get violent as the male is "mad" because the female is basically saying NO! and rise to the top so the fin out of the water and cannot be reached. The first step in their mating process is for the male to "secure" itself to the female by holding onto the females pectoral fin with its mouth!

If you wanted to try to catch them on a fly I would suggest large crab imitations that are slowly stripped along the bottom. A little trick for ya... when tying a crab wrap with a magnetic material as these rays primary locate food on the bottom through electroreceptive detection!
only adipose likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Ahh yes, I remember when my fiance and I first started dating. She was a little resistant at first, but as soon as I latched on to her pectoral fin, it was happily ever after.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Bob Popovics has a video on the ASWF site. It's the one called Seahoze Shuffle
If you've never seen any of his stuff there's some amazing footage
My favorite is the Whales in the NJ surf
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Ive had luck with rattle flies for skates and rays might be worth giving that a shot
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful what you wish for. When a Cownose curls up it's like reeling in a garbage can. I've seen them break 9ft surf rods...
only adipose and theboz like this.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like that were def spawning. Does that typically happen in NJ waters? I grew up a block from the bay and spent nearly my entire childhood on its beaches and have never seen this before. I know there population is on the rise is also their range?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by only adipose View Post
Sounds like that were def spawning. Does that typically happen in NJ waters? I grew up a block from the bay and spent nearly my entire childhood on its beaches and have never seen this before. I know there population is on the rise is also their range?
The population has definitely grown over the past 6-7years. Started in Raritan Bay by me, now they're everywhere.