The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Surf Safety

Quote:
"Does anyone know if rays are aggressive?"
No they aren't aggressive, but the ones in the Keys can be disconcerting in August and September when they are mating - especially if you are wearing those cheap foam wading booties. During that time of year they will follow your mud trail and hone in on you.

Then they will swim up to about 2 feet away, stop and settle in. They will just stare are your feet, and some will flap their wings and virtually settle in where you can hardly see them. I collected 4 of them once all around me and all staring at those wading booties. They look about the same color and shape of a ray's head. It's pretty comical - but I never turn around and take a step without looking down, and never do anything but the flats shuffle when wading.

A buddy of mine got hit up near Melbourne last year, and wound up with a very dangerous flesh eating bacteria which took weeks of IV antibiotics (3 differnet ones) until the last one finally killed the infection. It was likely from polution beng driven into the wound by the stinger.

I went back to sneakers for wading that have stripes up the sides.
nick k likes this.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

No one has mentioned rip tides.
I can recall being on the beach during a summer storm rip in south Jersey. I weighed about 120. I could sit down in 18 inches of surf and the rip would push me the distance (one block) between the jetties in less than a minute. Sit down in any deeper water and you might not get back out.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

And speaking of warm water.....be careful releasing fish. We all know we're supposed to resuscitate our fish, gently swimming them back and forth. But, if you have bleeder in Fl. in the summer time, particularly at night? Survey says no. Bull sharks can swim in about three feet of water and gently swimming that snook back and forth is a good way to lose hand. You use the downward toss method which will force air into the lungs and seems to be darned effective. I didn't believe it till I saw it done, but it works and its a whole lot safer than waving a fish around in dark waters when the sharks are in the shallows.
PS, don't wear a shiny silver wrist watch during the bait runs. Its a good way to get bitten by any thing from a blue fish to a barracuda.