The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 650flyguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Bay Area Surf fishing

Checked off a few things on the honey do list so I headed out for a surf fishing session this morning.
Great choice.

There were lots of willing participants
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
a surprise
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

a couple of doubles
Click the image to open in full size.

and some nice size fish
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM

tex will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bay Area Surf fishing

Were you in the bay or on the coast? I have always been interested in surf fishing but the waves intimidate me a bit. The bay has been calling my name because its so much more calm.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Were you in the bay or on the coast? I have always been interested in surf fishing but the waves intimidate me a bit. The bay has been calling my name because its so much more calm.
I was fishing the coast in the Bay area.
The waves can make it interesting.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Those are some nice perch. It looks like you had a very good day out there.

-VB
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

I love Old Florida Reels! Hard to find anymore. I've been fascinated about surf perch since reading an article on them in Fly Fishing in Saltwaters years ago.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I love Old Florida Reels! Hard to find anymore. I've been fascinated about surf perch since reading an article on them in Fly Fishing in Saltwaters years ago.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I live in Sacramento and really want to start Surf fishing. When I was young I spent a lot of time on the coast as my father was a part time commercial fisherman out of Bodega Bay. Seeing your surf perch brings back good memories.

So when surf fishing are you using a 9' rod, switch, spay or?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:26 PM

I mostly use a 9' 7 WT.

I have a 7 weight James Green fiberglass switch rod in the works that should be a sweet surf rod.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylobass View Post

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

They require some extra care when used in these conditions, sand can be a problem. I try to carry extra water in case it needs a flushing out. Newer reels seem to be much less temperamental.