The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By adam maskew
  • 1 Post By grouch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM

dan_m is on a distinguished road
Question Rod Recommendation

Just getting into saltwater fly fishing (excited!) and need a rod recommendation. Trips/quarry would consist of:
  • Redfish near Charleston, SC (guided)
  • Flats fishing in Biscayne bay, FL (guided). Bonefish and occasional permit.
  • Surf fishing in early AM hours in SC or FL beaches. (Only time to get away during family trips).

I'm thinking an 8 or a 9 wt but cannot decide. I would also like to pursue tarpon but if I did it would be with a guide and would assume I would have access to their 10-12wt setup.

I currently have a 6wt Scott A4 for FW fishing and love it. I would probably look at the same rod (w/ metal reelseat) in an 8 or 9wt. Price point is appropriate and is a good value. Its a fairly fast rod but not a superfast like the S4 or S4S.

Also looking for any line recommendations for this rod as well.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod Recommendation

The low country redfish guides usually like an 8-weight and the Biscayne Bay guides insist on a #9...I would go with the 9 as it is a fine all-round salty size. The S4s is not that fast...it is just right and a fine choice. A floating tropical line like the Airflo Ridge Tropic, SA Mastery Bonefish or RIO Bonefish would do great in both environments.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

adam maskew is on a distinguished road

The lighter (newer) nine weights are the new eight weights.

I find that I either fish with a nine or something smaller than an eight. Having said that I'm on the other side of the world and haven't fished for redfish. Just know my 9 comes out for the permit and deep water bones. People also seem to fish lighter rods, like your 6, for bones in skinny water these days too. Just needs some simple maintenance/clean at the end of the days fishing.

But no matter what people think pick up some rods and have a cast and see what you like, how it loads with the lines you have, etc. A lot of my friends have found the TFO BVK to be a great new or intermediate (and advanced) casters next rod in the salt in the nine weight. I like them a lot, but have no affiliation.

All the best with collecting information, trying some rods and buying one (or two).

Adam
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Personally I think the S4s are about the sweetest things going. I have both an 8wt and a 10wt. If I had to do it over again I would have just picked up a 9wt and called it quits. They are very fine rods with a buttery smooth cast and excellent feel.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM

dan_m is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the opinions, this is great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
Personally I think the S4s are about the sweetest things going. I have both an 8wt and a 10wt. If I had to do it over again I would have just picked up a 9wt and called it quits. They are very fine rods with a buttery smooth cast and excellent feel.
Grouch - curious what you use each your 8wt and 10wt rods for?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

TFO BVK 9wt with a SA Master Redfish line great combo for multiple situations. In a short time used mine for King Salmon, Stripers , Redfish ,Tarpon and Bones as well as False Albies and Bluefish and was very satisfied in the overall performance on these fish and the casting control. Price is good as well!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

How much fly fishing experience do you have? This will determine my recommendation beginners don't do well with some of the ultra fast broomsticks on the market today and a pro is not going to like a noodle rod either. A 9wt is more versatile in saltwater fishing because there is always wind and its usually right in your face. Price is another factor so gives us a budget and we will point you in the right direction. It's nice to be able to try before you buy, paying hundreds of dollars for a rod you hate really sucks. If you got a good shop in the area where you can try a few Rods with different lines is very helpful.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_m View Post
I appreciate all the opinions, this is great info.

Grouch - curious what you use each your 8wt and 10wt rods for?
I hate to say that the 10wt is propping up the corner right now as I don't have a reel for it yet. I bought it a while back but the reel just keeps getting pushed back each time I get close. It will be used for surf striper this fall and the occasional pike (a goal of mine). The 8wt is used mostly for inshore striper and freshwater bass. I also have a 7wt that I like to use for smallies and light inshore work.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

You have already gotten a lot of good advise on rods. I might suggest Colton as well. I have a 7wt Colton tradewinds and it is quite fast. I ended up overlineing it with an 8wt line to tame it a little but it will cast into a stiff wind quite well. I also have a Tradewinds XS 9wt which is a little slower and it is a rocket with a Wulff BTT. I am not a good caster but I can get a decent sized fly out 100 feet with the 9wt. You should also take a look at their reels. I can't think of the name of their best line of reels but I would put them up against any out there on the market. I have no affliliation with Colton but I would advise you to call Bob and at least talk with him.

I would advise a 9wt if you only intend to get one rod just because of the wind. Otherwise I think a 7 or 8wt is the way to go.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe its just me, but I've learned to favor the even numbered rods. Sounds silly I know, but think about it. The 5wt is the "do anything" trout rod between the purpose built 4 and 6. Same with the 7, its a trout and bass rod and the 9 is between bass and the salt. Now don't get me wrong, I own all three, but I find myself reaching for either my 6 weight Sage RPL (still good after all these years) or my Loomis 10 weight 8 times out of ten. Which I grab depends mostly on how hard the wind is blowing or how big a fly I want to throw. (Disclaimer, I'm not into big tarpon, I prefer three footers. Big tarpon and its a whole other ball game) The 9 weight gathers dust. If you're looking for reds in SC or bone fish on the flats, I'd go with an 8 weight as the do it all. Keep the 6 for bass and calm days and maybe a disposable 10 weight like the Albright or Reddington that you won't weep bitter tears over if you do hook up with an 80 pound monster in the Keyes. Otherwise, I'd just buy a good fast action 8 weight. I load mine with a WF-F bass bug head designed to turn over large flies (though I fish the mangroves more than the flats) and I like a tropical line that's designed to deal with salt and sun. Orvis makes a good one, so does Airflo,but there are others. Just remember to rinse your line out just like your reel.
Cheers and good luck

PS, the main determinate here is how big a fly you're throwing, and what the wind conditions are. That should determine the rod weight. I like light tackle and will throw weighted clousers on a 4 weight for bass, but if its blowing ten knots and you're throwing three oughts? Then a ten weight or up is what you want.