The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mullet! I actually caught a mullet!

use a bread fly they will hammer it..

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
You ought to target whatever's causing them to surround your yak! Probably monstrous!
12' hammer head on a 3 wt. sounds like fun
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I caught one once in Miami on a small trout fly that I was trying to get a big school to eat. Only caught him because it got stuck in the side of his mouth as he swam through though.

I knew a guy that would catch them with a big 12ft wood pole. He would have some line on the end leading to a hook with a piece of bread. Mullet would bit the bread, and he would whip the rod back as fast as he could. Mullet would go flying through the air and land some distance behind him. Never saw it in action personally.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

You're making this up, aren't you?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
You're making this up, aren't you?
If you mean me, than no. He fished near the road and said that the mullet would sometimes land on the road. Sad for the fish and obviously I don't condone that, but that's how he caught them.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Many people from the Cuban community in and around Miami fish for Mullet using long bamboo poles . Sort of like Tenkara with bread! The also have Mullet boats and use the largest cast nets and cruise in and out of the backwaters looking for schools. Watched one boat right next to shore in Card Sound throw the net and when retrieved it was so heavy took two guys to haul it back in the boat! They actually are pretty tasty the way they cook them . They also sell them for bait.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
If you mean me, than no. He fished near the road and said that the mullet would sometimes land on the road. Sad for the fish and obviously I don't condone that, but that's how he caught them.
No, I meant fq13.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
No, I meant fq13.
Catching a mullet? Nope. I was using a little gray/brown bonefish fly for sheeps head along a seawall and one took. First time that's ever happened for me.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM

lazaruslong is on a distinguished road

People say they're vegetarian but I've caught one on a Mirrorlure Top Dog topwater plug, a spoon and a Rapala Twitchin Rap. Guess they just get it in their minds to eat some of their brethren every once in a while.. Be hella fun to catch them consistently on a fly
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

At my college they would ball up every day all over the place in the narrow canals running through campus. If I could have caught them, I'd be hauling in 12-24 inchers all day long. Wasnt uncommon to see hundreds of them with their heads poking above water just moving back in forth in a 20ft wide canal.