The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mullet! I actually caught a mullet!

Okay, first, for you Yankees, I'm not talking about the haircut. The mullet is a herbivorous bait fish that hits about two pounds tops. The upside is that they make strong fast runs and jump three feet in the air when they are bored. Catching one on a fly is considered (among redneck fishermen anyway) the Holy Grail. Forget permit, give me a mullet on a 4 weight. And damned if I didn't get one. Usually the procedure is to chum with bread and tie a "yeasty beastie" a small shiny ball of tan dubbing with a bobber (er.....strike indicator). I tried. I failed.

However, purely by accident, I drug a size ten bonefish fly in front of one, and it hit the thing. Why, I have no idea. But I will tell you that even on a six weight that thing kept me alert and focused. It was about 12 inches and a very healthy fish. It made bone fish worthy runs and it jumped worthy of a tarpon. It was very cool. I wasn't gunning for it and it was purely a fluke, but it was like fighting a combo of a jack and a lady fish. I am thoroughly stoked.

I need to fish at night more, because even if the sheep's head aren't biting? The mullet might be.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 AM

alex2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mullet! I actually caught a mullet!

I've got a few on soft plastics whilst targeting bream. They go real good. Would love to get some on fly.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Have caught them in New Jersey (I'm a " Yankee") and in Florida on a fly . You are right they fight great! Never had a problem with them not hitting as long as the fly was small and similar to a Sabiki fly! Pretty much anything with Pearl Flashabou!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, that's humbling. I've tried for years (though not in a dedicated manner) and no luck at all until now. I guess I have a new project. I figured it was just a question of them being herbivores so not really worth messing with. But if you can tie specifically for them and get a technique down, that would be worth while as they're every where and would tow a rainbow of equal size around the pond if tied tail to tail. I might retire from chasing snook if I could get consistent hits from mullet on a 3#-4# weight.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I noticed while in Key Largo. The Mullet were eating insects and some kind of berry floating on top in the back channels of Card Sound. I've never done it but I'll bet you could with the right pattern catch them on a dry!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Another thing I noticed while in Key Largo. The Mullet were eating insects and some kind of berry floating on top in the back channels of Card Sound. I've never done it but I'll bet you could with the right pattern catch them on a dry!
That would be cool! Any tips on guides, bars or others I could call down there to type that berry? Because being able to dry fly fish for mullet on a three weight would be beyond awesome.
theboz likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

This is exciting news! I kayak at least once a year in Ft. DeSoto(FL) and on several occasions was surrounded by thousands of mullet. Will definitely target them next time. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM

You ought to target whatever's causing them to surround your yak! Probably monstrous!
yonder likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Found a "Florida Sportsman" article on this topic. Check it out.
Catching Mullet on Fly - Florida Sportsman
Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the link.