The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM

herocast is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
The Allen Alpha III is currently a deal-of-the-week. Buy the reel and they throw in a free spool that normally sells for $50.
Is that deal right on their website? I might jump on that, need a new reel for the 8wt.

EDIT: Yep, just found it. I miss these kinds of things easily
Old 08-13-2013, 03:47 PM

chuck_n_duck is on a distinguished road

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I actually have a Ross Gunnison G4, but I'm worried it wouldn't hold enough backing with a 10wt line. I saw the Allen reel and, yes, it looks like a great deal, and the reviews I've seen are pretty impressive, particularly considering the price. But it's still more than I can swing at this point. I thought about the old Medalists, too, but again, I'm worried about the amount of backing the reel would hold.
But that brings up another question: Has anyone tried using the newer braided fishing lines as backing? I would want to use a heavy enough line to avoid the coils getting buried and tangled, but I would think you could find a diameter that would prevent this, yet a smaller diameter than 30# dacron (or even 20#), thereby allowing an increased yardage of backing with the added advantage of it being an appreciably heavier test.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

That's a good question. I'm dithering about what kind of backing to put on a Medalist for 5 wt. I probably won't see the backing, but if I do I don't want it all bunched up either. I'm curious to hear the replies to this. It would be nice be able to use the thinner braids (though spendier).
Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
That's a good question. I'm dithering about what kind of backing to put on a Medalist for 5 wt. I probably won't see the backing, but if I do I don't want it all bunched up either. I'm curious to hear the replies to this. It would be nice be able to use the thinner braids (though spendier).
Just put on 20 pound Dacron, and call it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_n_duck View Post
But that brings up another question: Has anyone tried using the newer braided fishing lines as backing? I would want to use a heavy enough line to avoid the coils getting buried and tangled, but I would think you could find a diameter that would prevent this, yet a smaller diameter than 30# dacron (or even 20#), thereby allowing an increased yardage of backing with the added advantage of it being an appreciably heavier test.
I use 50 pound braids from different brands (Cortland, Scientific Anglers, Daiwa) on all my heavier rigs (10 weight and above). The diameter of these braids is roughly the same diameter as 20 pound test Dacron. I have not had issues of the braids getting tangled or buried.

Dennis