Reel recommendations

chuck_n_duck

Reaction score
Hello, All!
New to the forum in name only. Had an account at one time, but it's been awhile, and I couldn't remember the old login :eek:. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive reel (<$100) to go on a 10wt saltwater rod. I'm fully aware that, at this price point, the reel will not be designed for saltwater use. I'm more concerned about the reel having an adequate drag. My intended targets will (hopefully) be dorado, stripers, bluefish, maybe redfish and small tarpon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

fq13

Reaction score
Hello, All!
New to the forum in name only. Had an account at one time, but it's been awhile, and I couldn't remember the old login :eek:. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive reel (<$100) to go on a 10wt saltwater rod. I'm fully aware that, at this price point, the reel will not be designed for saltwater use. I'm more concerned about the reel having an adequate drag. My intended targets will (hopefully) be dorado, stripers, bluefish, maybe redfish and small tarpon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I've used an Orvis Battenkill disk drag on my ten weight for years (like maybe 15) and it hasn't failed me yet. Its a little outside your price point, but check Ebay. You should be able to find one for $100-$150. They're a great reel. I've caught snook, tarpon, reds etc. Just wash them out after use and give them a shot of CRC and you're good.

PS If you really want to go cheap, an exposed rim Pfleuger Medalist will work. I have one on an 11wt Ugly Stik and I've caught some very respectable tarpon and sharks with that outfit.

Last edited:

caseywise

Reaction score
theres a really nice cabelas xss3 on ebay right now.
they're really nice reels made in usa (ross i think)
may wanna check it out.

casey

ditz

Reaction score
There have been a lot of large fish caught on the old Medalist. The 1500 series with the exposed spool rib is an improvement but the old original 1400 series have caught most of them. Back in the day the real salties used to cut a hole out of the backing plate where none of the internals was disturbed and attach a patch of leather that they could press against the back face of the spool to increase the drag manually as needed. It was not Purdy but it worked well. Quite serviceable and less than $50. I have a couple of the the 1500 series models but I would not hesitate to use the old method of the leather patch.

herocast

Reaction score
Check out the Allen Alpha III reel. It's $50 over your budget but they get great reviews (smooth drag) and are rated for salt.

And look really cool (also in black).

dakotakid

Reaction score
Check out the Allen Alpha III reel. It's $50 over your budget but they get great reviews (smooth drag) and are rated for salt.

And look really cool (also in black).
The Allen Alpha III is currently a deal-of-the-week. Buy the reel and they throw in a free spool that normally sells for $50.

fq13

Reaction score
That is a good deal. I have a sink tip for my Orvis and the spare spool set me back about 60 bucks. I love the Battenkill, but a good name brand with spare spool for $150? That's hard to say no to. (in fact I'm trying hard as we speak). Damn I'm a gear wh*re!:D

chipgerrard

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know what ya mean bud. It was too hard to say no. I just bought a kracken. I hope it performs well. I'm pairing it up with my sage tcx for steel

Last edited:

herocast

Reaction score
The Allen Alpha III is currently a deal-of-the-week. Buy the reel and they throw in a free spool that normally sells for $50.
Is that deal right on their website? I might jump on that, need a new reel for the 8wt.

EDIT: Yep, just found it. I miss these kinds of things easily :D

chuck_n_duck

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I actually have a Ross Gunnison G4, but I'm worried it wouldn't hold enough backing with a 10wt line. I saw the Allen reel and, yes, it looks like a great deal, and the reviews I've seen are pretty impressive, particularly considering the price. But it's still more than I can swing at this point. I thought about the old Medalists, too, but again, I'm worried about the amount of backing the reel would hold.
But that brings up another question: Has anyone tried using the newer braided fishing lines as backing? I would want to use a heavy enough line to avoid the coils getting buried and tangled, but I would think you could find a diameter that would prevent this, yet a smaller diameter than 30# dacron (or even 20#), thereby allowing an increased yardage of backing with the added advantage of it being an appreciably heavier test.

fq13

Reaction score
That's a good question. I'm dithering about what kind of backing to put on a Medalist for 5 wt. I probably won't see the backing, but if I do I don't want it all bunched up either. I'm curious to hear the replies to this. It would be nice be able to use the thinner braids (though spendier).

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
That's a good question. I'm dithering about what kind of backing to put on a Medalist for 5 wt. I probably won't see the backing, but if I do I don't want it all bunched up either. I'm curious to hear the replies to this. It would be nice be able to use the thinner braids (though spendier).
Just put on 20 pound Dacron, and call it good.

But that brings up another question: Has anyone tried using the newer braided fishing lines as backing? I would want to use a heavy enough line to avoid the coils getting buried and tangled, but I would think you could find a diameter that would prevent this, yet a smaller diameter than 30# dacron (or even 20#), thereby allowing an increased yardage of backing with the added advantage of it being an appreciably heavier test.
I use 50 pound braids from different brands (Cortland, Scientific Anglers, Daiwa) on all my heavier rigs (10 weight and above). The diameter of these braids is roughly the same diameter as 20 pound test Dacron. I have not had issues of the braids getting tangled or buried.

Dennis