The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM

chuck_n_duck is on a distinguished road
Default Reel recommendations

Hello, All!
New to the forum in name only. Had an account at one time, but it's been awhile, and I couldn't remember the old login . Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive reel (<$100) to go on a 10wt saltwater rod. I'm fully aware that, at this price point, the reel will not be designed for saltwater use. I'm more concerned about the reel having an adequate drag. My intended targets will (hopefully) be dorado, stripers, bluefish, maybe redfish and small tarpon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Reel recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_n_duck View Post
Hello, All!
New to the forum in name only. Had an account at one time, but it's been awhile, and I couldn't remember the old login . Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive reel (<$100) to go on a 10wt saltwater rod. I'm fully aware that, at this price point, the reel will not be designed for saltwater use. I'm more concerned about the reel having an adequate drag. My intended targets will (hopefully) be dorado, stripers, bluefish, maybe redfish and small tarpon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I've used an Orvis Battenkill disk drag on my ten weight for years (like maybe 15) and it hasn't failed me yet. Its a little outside your price point, but check Ebay. You should be able to find one for $100-$150. They're a great reel. I've caught snook, tarpon, reds etc. Just wash them out after use and give them a shot of CRC and you're good.

PS If you really want to go cheap, an exposed rim Pfleuger Medalist will work. I have one on an 11wt Ugly Stik and I've caught some very respectable tarpon and sharks with that outfit.

Last edited by fq13; 08-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

theres a really nice cabelas xss3 on ebay right now.
they're really nice reels made in usa (ross i think)
may wanna check it out.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 AM

chuck_n_duck is on a distinguished road

Thank you to fq13 and caseywise. I'll check those two reels out.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

You might look into a Ross Cimmaron or Gunnison or a Lamson LP.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

There have been a lot of large fish caught on the old Medalist. The 1500 series with the exposed spool rib is an improvement but the old original 1400 series have caught most of them. Back in the day the real salties used to cut a hole out of the backing plate where none of the internals was disturbed and attach a patch of leather that they could press against the back face of the spool to increase the drag manually as needed. It was not Purdy but it worked well. Quite serviceable and less than $50. I have a couple of the the 1500 series models but I would not hesitate to use the old method of the leather patch.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:12 PM

herocast is on a distinguished road

Check out the Allen Alpha III reel. It's $50 over your budget but they get great reviews (smooth drag) and are rated for salt.

And look really cool (also in black).
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by herocast View Post
Check out the Allen Alpha III reel. It's $50 over your budget but they get great reviews (smooth drag) and are rated for salt.

And look really cool (also in black).
Click the image to open in full size.
The Allen Alpha III is currently a deal-of-the-week. Buy the reel and they throw in a free spool that normally sells for $50.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

That is a good deal. I have a sink tip for my Orvis and the spare spool set me back about 60 bucks. I love the Battenkill, but a good name brand with spare spool for $150? That's hard to say no to. (in fact I'm trying hard as we speak). Damn I'm a gear wh*re!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

I know what ya mean bud. It was too hard to say no. I just bought a kracken. I hope it performs well. I'm pairing it up with my sage tcx for steel

Last edited by chipgerrard; 08-12-2013 at 11:17 PM.