The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 650flyguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default North of Santa Cruz sand session

Today my family spent some beach time north of Santa Cruz.
The wind was fierce, the waves were breaking right up close and it was mid day - not ideal conditions.
I choose to backhand cast in order not to introduce my shooting head to the back of my head.
Unfortunately, after my second hook up, my reel decided to convert to righthand wind.
After untangling a nice mess, I half hitched the line around the reel foot and was content to fish 60' of line and hope I would be able to unhitch the line quickly if a striper decided to grab a fly.
The day turned out well, I managed to find a couple of holes and catch a nice variety of perch.

walleye surf perch
Click the image to open in full size.
barred perch
a calico
barred perch
von behr and fredaevans like this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 08-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North of Santa Cruz sand session

Beautiful looking fish, congrats!

Larry
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 AM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough

Nice fishing. Were you by Wilder Ranch or closer to Davenport or Pigeon point lighthouse?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Nice fish! I'm glad you were able to salvage your rigging and keep on fishing. The results certainly look like they were worth the effort.

-VB