The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM

flyrodorbust is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Florida keys fly fishing

I was at duck key April 2012. As you cross the bridge to enter the island to the right will be Tom's bay. Follow that shoreline to the south and you should find an area loaded with juvenile barracuda. Most are only 12-18 inches but they readily take a fly can be cast to from shore and are sitting in less than three feet if water. The canals that run thru the island are loaded with mangroves and grunts and are easily accessed by kayak. My son and I fished three days and caught fish til we literally had blisters. We stayed in the townhouses that are on the right just after the bridge I mentioned earlier. Directly across from there was hawks cay. They have a small store and bait shop fight there. We rented two kayaks and had a ball. We will be returning in 2014 if I can convince the troops to stay stateside.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 AM

bad2thebone is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all your responses, definitely going to try for some jack with the kids, that sounds promising, would anyone suggest one of the hawks cay guides, or are there others that might be better?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

Derek Rust is still with Hawks Cay according to the website. He is an awesome dude, knows the area extremely well, and put me on a ton of fish. He's also a fun guy to fish with. I can PM you his personal info if your interested. When I go back to the keys I'll be using him again.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

I am using Derek Rust next week for a few days. He's out of Marathon. I've heard nothing but good things about him and from our conversations he seems like a pretty cool guy. I'll post a fishing report when I eventually get back
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanks I would appreciate a report, particularly see if targeting bones for a day is worthwhile for the adults.
On another note, any recommendation for a spin cast set up?
Rod length , action and reel size
I have an orvis 8 wt fly rod and matching orvis saltwater reel and line, but need to get set up for spin cast
Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 AM

mcond is on a distinguished road

What campus are you fishing at? I'm a college student with no boat looking for a place to fish from shore on fly down here. I do alot of bass and peacock fishing with little success. I dont mind not catching large fish. I just enjoy the sight fishing aspect. So any fish will do.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcond View Post
What campus are you fishing at? I'm a college student with no boat looking for a place to fish from shore on fly down here. I do alot of bass and peacock fishing with little success. I dont mind not catching large fish. I just enjoy the sight fishing aspect. So any fish will do.
Your choices are endless! Get a map and you will see either fresh salt or brackish. No boat necessary!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM

cboz76 is on a distinguished road

Bonefish and Permit are your best bet. You can get tarpon by the bridges, but the best time is in May
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM

What are the best flies for bone fish in the keys?and what size hooks are best?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

There are many good patterns that work there, but for basic selections Gotcha's, Crazy Charlies & Clouser Minnows work well. Various shades of tan, white/pearl, browns, and pinks are the most popular colors. Basically you want the color to match the bottom, not contrast with it. Light colors for light bottoms, darker for dark bottoms.

The most popular sizes are 6 to 2. 8's & larger than 2 are sometimes used, but not often in the Keys, unless they're used for Permit flies.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!