The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Florida keys fly fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/328512-florida-keys-fly-fishing.html)

bad2thebone 08-18-2013 08:30 AM

Florida keys fly fishing

Me and a buddy are looking at a 3 day trip to hawks cay in the keys next april, we are planning 3 days on the water, 1 day to try and catch our 1st bonefish, and a day for each of us with our boys to catch anything that will bite on the boys fly as they are 11-13 yrs old. Any suggestions as to what species the kids would have a great chance of hook ups? We want to ensure they have fun

bigjim5589 08-18-2013 09:44 AM

Re: Florida keys fly fishing

Bonefish, Tarpon & Permit are the 3 that most folks seek when fly fishing in the Keys, but Barracuda are probably the easiest to get to take a fly. If you have a boat, that makes it a bit easier to search around, but if you'll be wading, then it limits your chances. However, be prepared for anything. Even sharks can be caught on flies, although I'm not sure I would risk getting bitten if wading. The various Snapper species can also be caught on flies, as can Ladyfish.

Whatever you do, just be aware that even smaller fish with teeth, such as Barracuda can cause serious damage to body parts. Use caution & common sense when landing & unhooking such fish.

fishindave 08-18-2013 11:21 AM

And don't forget about the jacks..The most action you could ever hope for w/an 8/wt...Enjoy your trip..

swampdonkey 08-18-2013 12:08 PM

+1 on the Jacks. I don't really understand why they get snubbed by the fly fishing community. I know its no where in the same league as hunting Permit (I'm Permit obsessed myself) but Jacks can be a blast.

ditz 08-18-2013 01:28 PM

Yep...Barracuda teeth are almost as sharp as razors. Ask me how I know.....

I have never caught a jack on the fly but I am up for it any day.

fishindave 08-18-2013 11:46 PM

Yep....If you ever want to test out new gear for durability, drag system, and if you carry enough backing, That is the go to fish..I have seen 20# + jacks take all 200yds of backing in a matter of seconds....Imagine hooking your fly to the bumper of a car, there is absolutly no stopping some of them. If your in a boat, you have a chance. On land, forget about it..Point the rod at 'em and break at the tippit...:D

navezgane 08-19-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad2thebone (Post 583049)
Me and a buddy are looking at a 3 day trip to hawks cay in the keys next april, we are planning 3 days on the water, 1 day to try and catch our 1st bonefish, and a day for each of us with our boys to catch anything that will bite on the boys fly as they are 11-13 yrs old. Any suggestions as to what species the kids would have a great chance of hook ups? We want to ensure they have fun

As said, cudas and shark are plentiful and eager to take a fly, and there are several great flats and channels around Hawks Cay/Duck Key. You'll want a boat or at least a shallow/exposed area to land either fish on as well as using extreme caution around the kids. You can see the sharks coming from the channels onto the flats very clearly and have plenty of time to set up for a good presentation. I lived there for several years. Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions or would like a guide rec.

grouch 08-19-2013 05:48 AM

Ever since I had a jack spool me I have been their number one fan. I was using a Ross BG4 that couldn't do anything against it. When I got down to about 20-30 turns of backing left, I pointed the rod tip at the fleeing fly thief and clamped down on the reel to break him off. This all happened in about 15 seconds. The noise that poor reel made was haunting. As of yet, I never have landed a big one.

nick k 08-19-2013 01:48 PM

I used to catch baby jacks in the Miami canals that ran through my college campus. Even the 5 or 6 inchers put up a crazy fight. I hooked onto about a 10-12 incher once. Fought me for about 10 minutes, just pacing up and down the bank, couldn't gain an inch for the longest time. Finally, I thought I had him close enough, grabbed my rod in the middle and stupidly clamped the line with my hand as well. As soon as I did so, he took off and the line snapped. I was heartbroken. Plus he took the only popovics ultra shrimp I had at the time.

sandfly 08-19-2013 05:36 PM

corn-cob mullet also for kids.