The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 AM

bad2thebone is on a distinguished road
Default Florida keys fly fishing

Me and a buddy are looking at a 3 day trip to hawks cay in the keys next april, we are planning 3 days on the water, 1 day to try and catch our 1st bonefish, and a day for each of us with our boys to catch anything that will bite on the boys fly as they are 11-13 yrs old. Any suggestions as to what species the kids would have a great chance of hook ups? We want to ensure they have fun
Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Florida keys fly fishing

Bonefish, Tarpon & Permit are the 3 that most folks seek when fly fishing in the Keys, but Barracuda are probably the easiest to get to take a fly. If you have a boat, that makes it a bit easier to search around, but if you'll be wading, then it limits your chances. However, be prepared for anything. Even sharks can be caught on flies, although I'm not sure I would risk getting bitten if wading. The various Snapper species can also be caught on flies, as can Ladyfish.

Whatever you do, just be aware that even smaller fish with teeth, such as Barracuda can cause serious damage to body parts. Use caution & common sense when landing & unhooking such fish.
mrfzx likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

And don't forget about the jacks..The most action you could ever hope for w/an 8/wt...Enjoy your trip..
mrfzx likes this.

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

+1 on the Jacks. I don't really understand why they get snubbed by the fly fishing community. I know its no where in the same league as hunting Permit (I'm Permit obsessed myself) but Jacks can be a blast.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Yep...Barracuda teeth are almost as sharp as razors. Ask me how I know.....

I have never caught a jack on the fly but I am up for it any day.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Yep....If you ever want to test out new gear for durability, drag system, and if you carry enough backing, That is the go to fish..I have seen 20# + jacks take all 200yds of backing in a matter of seconds....Imagine hooking your fly to the bumper of a car, there is absolutly no stopping some of them. If your in a boat, you have a chance. On land, forget about it..Point the rod at 'em and break at the tippit...
mrfzx likes this.

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 AM

navezgane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad2thebone View Post
Me and a buddy are looking at a 3 day trip to hawks cay in the keys next april, we are planning 3 days on the water, 1 day to try and catch our 1st bonefish, and a day for each of us with our boys to catch anything that will bite on the boys fly as they are 11-13 yrs old. Any suggestions as to what species the kids would have a great chance of hook ups? We want to ensure they have fun
As said, cudas and shark are plentiful and eager to take a fly, and there are several great flats and channels around Hawks Cay/Duck Key. You'll want a boat or at least a shallow/exposed area to land either fish on as well as using extreme caution around the kids. You can see the sharks coming from the channels onto the flats very clearly and have plenty of time to set up for a good presentation. I lived there for several years. Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions or would like a guide rec.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Ever since I had a jack spool me I have been their number one fan. I was using a Ross BG4 that couldn't do anything against it. When I got down to about 20-30 turns of backing left, I pointed the rod tip at the fleeing fly thief and clamped down on the reel to break him off. This all happened in about 15 seconds. The noise that poor reel made was haunting. As of yet, I never have landed a big one.
fishindave likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I used to catch baby jacks in the Miami canals that ran through my college campus. Even the 5 or 6 inchers put up a crazy fight. I hooked onto about a 10-12 incher once. Fought me for about 10 minutes, just pacing up and down the bank, couldn't gain an inch for the longest time. Finally, I thought I had him close enough, grabbed my rod in the middle and stupidly clamped the line with my hand as well. As soon as I did so, he took off and the line snapped. I was heartbroken. Plus he took the only popovics ultra shrimp I had at the time.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

corn-cob mullet also for kids.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..