The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Why strip strike?

After 30+ years of fly fishing I used the strip strike for the first time while striper fishing. If nothing else I really enjoyed the exhilaration of the immediate connection to the fish. Where as with a lift of the rod I do not get that. I also found reaction time was much quicker, because when swinging streamers I felt the bite. I didn't address the machanical reasons for it, because others have already. I will say this I found it quite easy to strip strike several times if I didn't feel confident in the initial strip strike and have never been able to do so with a lift.

In situations where a lift is the right action I don't strike you see the guys do in bass tournaments I just deliberately lift the rod in a smoth motion.

When Tight Line/"Czech" nymphing I do a short quick down stream wrist snap.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why strip strike?

Those bass fishermen are just being Shakespearean because of inadequacies.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Why strip strike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
The other thing with lifting the rod is that some of the pressure of the set is actually absorbed by the flex of the rod. A rods entire job is to absorb pressure, and this isn't always what you want. Strip striking ensures that every pound you pull is transferred directly into the strike.

A secondary reason (and some people consider this the main reason) is that a strip strike doesn't always cost you the fish if it is ill timed. If you lift the rod to strike, the fly moved very unnaturally and in many cases comes clear out of the water. Strip striking simply looks like a quick dart of the fish to avoid being eaten, and in many cases will not deter the fish from striking again. This is the primary reason I do it.
Nick's explanation is the primary reason I use the strip strike. If you lift a nine-foot rod with a quick twitch, that fly is moving a considerable distance up and away from the fish. The fly often comes out of the water toward you, and you're now out of the game. If you continue to strip, those short striking fish will continue to follow and try to grab your fly. I've had many occasions with four or five bites in one cast before the fish makes the commitment and I hook up with him. Had I lifted the rod instead of using a strip strike, I would have pulled the fly out of play, missed the fish, and been out of the game until the next cast.

-VB