The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TFO BVK or Mangrove?

I have both rods in 8wt's. I like them both for different reasons. The taper profile is not anywhere close to the same. The BVK is a fast action, with a fairly progressive flex tip to butt. No lifting power at all which is why many people break this model. It casts well once you find the sweat spot.

The Mangrove is completely different, and it incorporates the Titanium coating that they use on the TiCr and TiCrX rods. This makes it much more durable. IT was designed by "Flip" (excuse my spelling) to have a soft fast loading front third, and a heavier stouter butt for lifting. I happen to love it for Redfish.

Which is better? Only you can choose for you. Good luck, but there is no loser here.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

After reading all these replys I'm definitely going to try the Mangrove! I have several BVKs and I found out about the lifting and breaking aspect the hard way when Salmon fishing! The Mangrove sounds interesting!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM

nathans_dad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great replys! I'm trying to find a shop here in Dallas that would carry the Mangrove so I could cast it, I stopped off at Cabela's and Bass Pro and didn't find it at either location. I know TFO is based out of Fort Worth but I'm not sure if they allow visitors to the warehouse or not.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans_dad View Post
Thanks for all the great replys! I'm trying to find a shop here in Dallas that would carry the Mangrove so I could cast it, I stopped off at Cabela's and Bass Pro and didn't find it at either location. I know TFO is based out of Fort Worth but I'm not sure if they allow visitors to the warehouse or not.
Call them. I would bet they invite you.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:28 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Great rods, but you'll have to cast them. Remember in the salt there are two contradictory needs. One is the ummph to throw big/heavy flies in the wind, and the other is being able to do it for hours without beating yourself up. For reds and sea trout you are going to be throwing lots of lead eye #2 clousers and the like, but you aren't going to be dealing with really big fish either so you don't need the lifting power you would if you were chasing Bonita or snook.. Throw both with a fly of that type if they'll let you and go from there. Have fun shopping.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I may be out of my muddy freshwater element, but I own a 7wt BVK and a 7wt TiCR X. The BVK is a great rod for casting all day because it is light and casts very nice. I have not tried a Mangrove, but I can tell you that the BVK does a fine job. However, in lifting power, you may want to check out the Mangrove or TiCR X. I've caught many large carp (Not a salt fish, but we all know they fight like crazy.) and I did feel the BVK felt a little lacking in lifting ability. Not saying that it wouldn't work, or do it well, but I can tell you that there's a trade-off. Other rods may have better lifting power, but they can give your arm a work-out, where the BVK may be a bit more gentle.

I use both for different places I fish. When I have to launch the bugs a country mile and do it often, BVK gets loaded that day. When I'm short casting all day chasing monsters, the TiCR X is a beast and puts the hurt on them.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 PM

sims is on a distinguished road

Hi,
this is my first post here, but I have to come to an american board in order to get some good inforamtions about the new mangrove rods.

I am looking for a 10 wt rod for my ambush TT 400 grains line. I use the ambush TT line in 290 grains with my BVK #8 and I love this combination but for my biggest pikeflies I would like to use something heavier.

I was thinking about a 10WT BVK but a little less tip action could be good when I try to land a pike from a kayak.

Do you think the mangrove could be the right rod for this situations?
And one more questions? Is the handle of the mangrove realy only about 16 cm??
Seems to be a little short for such a strong rod; hope my hands are not to big.

Thanks in advance.

ps.
please excuse my bad english
Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 PM

scotfergus is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Could someone please enlighten me. I've read so many great reviews about the TFO BVK that I went ahead and bought one, a 7wt 10ft. Had import it to Scotland, it turned out an expensive business. I was excited about getting my hands on it.

Are the reviews left all for the 9 ft models? Because I have never experienced a rod tip to have such pronounced, long lasting wobble. It's terrible, to the extent it's useless. I can only put it down to the BVK having been designed/tested at 9ft and the 10ft is a modified version with a longer but weaker tip section.

Could anyone share their experience of the 10ft rods. Im totally mystified to how the thing I got through the post can be the same kit everyone has raved about.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 AM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

I ordered a 9' bvk on the results of the Yellowstone 8# shootout but I ordered a 7# because the Wildflies review said the 7# 9' bvk had a lot more lifting power than the 8#. Should be here next week, hope I am not dissapointed. Yellowstone shootout were dissapointed in the mangrove 9' 8#. Thanks
Old 09-13-2014, 05:01 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

I was able to cast both the Mangrove 7wt, BVK 7wt, and BVK 6wt side by side. I ended up with the 6wt BVK... Heavy Lifts are just not an issue for me. I really liked the Mangrove. It had a very nice, relaxed cast but was still very powerful. I was really torn between the two. Had I had an opportunity to cast a 6wt Mangrove I might have decided differently. It was a tough choice. As others have pointed out, BVKs and Mangroves have very different casts and are built for different purposes. If each does what you need it to do, the only way to choose is to put them in your own hand and try them out.