The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM

deanflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Striper

We are two seasoned salwater fly guys who are going for some flyrod action in October. Stripers, albies and whatever hits the fly does it.
We need some advice on how far south we should go. We like to fish wading or use a boat for transportation to get to the spots.

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks Deanflyfish
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Striper

need more info, like where you are and if you are on east coast or west coast ??
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

It would also help to know if you are dragging your own boat around. In the Maryland part of the Chesapeake the bigguns' won't normally show up until November. Some bigger fish will be on the Maryland shore in October but most are still north for the most part. The end of October can make for some hot action.

You may want to look at the last few years fishing reports. To get an idea of how they are trending. It is fairly consistant from one year to the next, not a hard set rule, but fairly close. I wouldn't expect anybody to give up their little hotspots, but a good amount of starting points are pretty well published.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
need more info, like where you are and if you are on east coast or west coast ??
Hi.
It will be on the west coast. Presumably in the Cape Cod area, but is it too late for stripers around oct 20 ? Should we choose another area ?
Thanks

Deanflyfish

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanflyfish View Post
Hi.
It will be on the west coast. Presumably in the Cape Cod area, but is it too late for stripers around oct 20 ? Should we choose another area ?
Thanks

Deanflyfish
No Boat. We only rent a car. And we are open to hire a guide for a day or two.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

cape cod is in the east us. check with these guys;
http://www.fishingthecape.com/
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi.
No Boat. We only rent a car. And we are open to hire a guide for a day or two.
You could do okay mid-October in the upper cape area. That would be on either side of the canal and around Falmouth.
Out toward Provincetown too as long as there's no mung.
It's hit or miss at that time of the season with passing schools of migrating stripers followed by large gaps
Forget about the "elbow area" around Chatham. Too many seals inshore.
If you had a boat you could fish the rips but the fishing the surf and once famous Monomoy flats aren't worth the effort.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

I do not fish that far north in October , but I would guess depending on any big storms, and overall weather trends you could be right in the thick of it, missed the entire migration by mere days, or still be early for the bulk of the migration ( not likely ....but they are stripers so who knows....nobody until late December will know for sure how things played out this year) .

So IMO, go for it, unless you can make the trip all the way to Montauk which should be more of a sure thing...

Or roll the dice and go to Block Island.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 AM

Thanks a lot . I will check the places out, but I am still not sure where to go as the time of the year may be uncertain for wading to hunt for stripers. I am not interestyed in going to Montauk as it seems to be too crowded.
Anyway thanks for all advice,
Deanflyfish
Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks a lot . I will check the places out, but I am still not sure where to go as the time of the year may be uncertain for wading to hunt for stripers. I am not interestyed in going to Montauk as it seems to be too crowded.
Anyway thanks for all advice,
Deanflyfish
If you are looking for daytime blitz fishing, then definetely stay away from Montauk. The night tides , especially into second half of October are not too crowded.

The Montauk surf draws all types of anglers, so at times it can be maddening, and the fishing while good at times can be as good if you find the right spots elsewhere. Good Luck
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to go to the Point for action because this time of year all of LI is affected by the run ! There are so many North and South Shore beaches that will produce fish that it would take years to fish them all. If you like calm flat water try Shelter Island , Orient , Rocky Point , Sunken Meadow Cold Spring Harbor just to name a few. If you want the surf there's East Hampton, Oak Beach , Gilgo, Long Beach , West End Breezy Point for starters . Since you guys are seasoned veterans you should have no problem this time of year connecting at anyone of these locations ! Maybe I'll see you down there!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser