The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default Fl keys trip

just got back from spending a week down in Key West. it was my first time fly fishing salt water. it was so awesome !! i had searched this forum for months trying to gathering whatever information i could find. i had noticed there was a decent amount of people who were searching for the same info. so instead of writing a mini book on the trip, im just going to list what i learned, you'll be able to figure out how it turned out.
1. casting in the wind can be VERY difficult. the wind can and will came from all directions and will blow constantly
2. sight fishing is better on cloudless days, you will struggle to see with overcast and high winds, plus fish hardly tail in that condition
3. fly line can and will get snagged on EVERYTHING, line management is a must
4. guides do not like being hooked. hook yourself and you'll know how it feels
5. the guide can only put you on fish, its all up to you to catch em
6. to impove your chances of catching fish, the fly must land where the fish can easly see it, the fly needs to be infront of thier face
7. ALWAYS be ready to cast. when you get to a spot, first thing you should do is get set up. if not, you will be using the bathroom and miss a school of moving fish. also fish can pop up anywhere, that includes right next to the boat
8. if you hook a tarpon and trout set, they will spit out your fly in less then a second.
9. if the guide tells you to step out of the boat and wade to some tailing fish, get out of the boat as quite as possible. if you jump out, you can scare bone fish even if they are 100 feet away
10. if you dont see tailing fish but do see sharks, cast to the shark, its great practice.

throughout the whole trip i did not catch any fish, but i did hook three tarpon and a amberjack. the guide, on the other hand, caught a red fish while demonstrating some casting techniques, we call it a trail fish HA HA HA
Click the image to open in full size.

i am hooked on saltwater now, already planning my next trip back.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fl keys trip

Nice Redfish! The Keys are one of my favorite places , and I go at least once a year! Sounds like you learned much , for me every year down there is a learning experience! And it only gets better! Great post!
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I was born down here and I need a guide in the Keys. Back country and freshwater I'm good, the Keys? Its a whole different world and I'm still learning.
Two useful pieces of advice?
1 Buy a line designed for sun and salt. It won't go limp and hang up on everything so easily. Several companies make them and I won't recommend one over the others. I use Orvis, but I'm sure the others are just as good.

2 As far as fishing in the wind with lead head eyed clousers and deceivers? There's a reason fly fishermen like those dorky broad brimmed Tilly hats.

3 (A bonus piece) Under every dock in the Keys lives a mangrove snapper. Fluro carbon leaders and a 1/32 oz jig or size six fly at night on an ultra light or 4-5 weight at night from your hotel or the marina down the street? Good times.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a good trip. The first time in the salt is a real eye opener. Sounds like you did pretty well hooking some tarpon. The next trip will be much easier.

Hope you enjoyed fishing with Derek.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=
Hope you enjoyed fishing with Derek.[/QUOTE]

I did. If anyone is looking for a guide they need to go with him, he's very laid back and knows his stuff. Can't wait to go back
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you had a good trip. I go down there every year and just got back a few weeks ago. Your first trip is definitely a humbling experience (at least it was for me) but it is addicting. I feel your pain on the trout set, I did that a couple of times this past trip.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnbum View Post
I feel your pain on the trout set, I did that a couple of times this past trip.
You trout fish long enough it besides a natural reaction. I'm still excited to say I at least hook a few. Humbling experience indeed, I have more respect those who fly fish the salt, it's challenging but has high rewards.
flyfishnbum likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report, sounds like a very fun trip, a lot to learn in a short time, don't get down on yourself, all of us that fish for trout will have the same issues you brought out!

Larry

Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 AM

mtd885 is on a distinguished road

Learn to strip strike, No that does not mean to take off your clothes, carry a placard and denounce management
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 PM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

For me cause i fish fresh most of the year when i get back at salt i usually miss the first fish because of the trout set.