The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 10:33 AM

uni2uniknot has a spectacular aura aboutuni2uniknot has a spectacular aura about
Default Kudos big bones Hawaii!

On my way back to pa from Honolulu Hawaii...

My trip was short...just two days.

I was able to hook up with guide Greg Moss for an afternoon of bone fishing in Honolulu.

Greg was totally cool...he guides out of an 18' Boston whaler fitted with a 90hp 4 stroke out board...fast and quite.

Turning back time...I was born and raised in Honolulu. I was educated in Malibu CA and finished my training in Philadelphia. As an aspiring fisherman in Honolulu, I had no clue that bonefish (o'io) were so big in Hawaii.

Now living in PA, my passion soon became fly fishing the salt...I have pursued bones, permit and tarpon for many years. I have fished the keys, Bermuda, Bahamas, Belize, Aruba, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico and costa Rico. I completed the grand slam in the keys in 2006.

Back to now...Greg, my younger brother and I fished the flats adjacent to aloha international airport in Honolulu from 1pm till sunset with spinning gear. For starters, the scenery was spectacular! We watched large commercial jets come and go and we were treated to see several air national guard raptor jets take off and go ballistic.

Terminal tackle to begin was the jig produced by back bone lures (backbonelures.com). We finished the day fishing with hooks and squid. Spinning reels were loaded with 15lbs braided Dacron with 18' of mono up front.

Between my brother and I, we hooked and released 4 o'io. These fish are BIG!!!
The largest bone was near 12lbs and the runt of the day was easily 8lbs.

Just a great afternoon of bone fishing. Possibly the best part of the day was the fact that there was no one else out there fishing.

If you get the chance to visit Honolulu and you can fit in a day of fishing, I strongly recommend you hook up with Greg Moss...808-479-6677.

Tight lines!!!

Last edited by uni2uniknot; 09-29-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kudos big bones Hawaii!

I thought this was the Fly Fishing Forums?

The Fly Fishing Shop
Welches, OR
800-266-3971
www.flyfishusa.com
Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Damn! 5 pounds is considered a very respectable fish here in Florida. Nice fish.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 PM

uni2uniknot has a spectacular aura aboutuni2uniknot has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishusa View Post
I thought this was the Fly Fishing Forums?

I apologize...

We were fully equipped to attack with the fly rods, however, it was a windy and overcast afternoon. Sight casting was not possible and I am not as good in the wind with a fly rod as I am with spinning gear.

I have traveled to many destinations and early in my experience I learnt that having both fly fishing and spinning gear is most productive. I would much rather catch fish than worry about spinning or fly casting.

Uni2

Last edited by uni2uniknot; 09-29-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Yep.