Pompano

muppetmullet81

Reaction score
When is the best time to fish for pompano on Floridas east coast? What flies do you use? Are they found more in the intercoastal waters or out in the ocean surf?

stl_geoff

Reaction score
They are a surf fish. Small gold and pearl colored flies work best, they like to eat sand mites. I have always found them during the spring and summer while down in the Gulf. This past year over the winter i did not see a single one.

muppetmullet81

Reaction score
I will be in the palm beach area at the end of may. I really want to catch a snook but I will be happy with catching anything.

muppetmullet81

Reaction score
Ok jacks. What do I need to know. Beach, intercoastal, do I need to hire a boat and a guide? Cause thats a bit out of my price range. Flies? I am going to bring my 9ft 8wt. Most guys have said thats enough for beach snook, and its the biggest I have.

theboz

Reaction score
8wt is fine. Streamers with flash and topwaters will get them. At the beach you can see them chasing bait often that time of year. They are in the intercoastal as well but the beach gives you an opportunity to spot them whereas the IC not so much more blind casting. There will e lots of ladyfish at the beach as well.

fq13

Reaction score
If you can afford a guide, call Rick Hamilton. He's one of the best around. Fly fishing only and fishes out of an open boat optimized for fly fishing. Last I went, he wanted $350 for a full day, but if he had another single you could pair up and split the fee for an extra few bucks. (Its probably gone up, but he's worth it).

As for fish that time of year, you might get into some late sails and spinner sharks (though that's mostly winter). But the main game is bonita and tarpon. The Dolphin might or might not be in. Blackfin tuna are another maybe.

Inshore and on the beach its the best time of year for snook. Try the Ermine River spillway in Palm Beach Gardens (though its a spin fishing deal mostly). Or for fly if you don't mind wading or renting a Kayak, try Macaurthor state park off Singer Island. There are tons of mangrove flats. Some you get to through the park, some you just wade in from the road. If you rent a kayak, just South of the inlet is the turning basin for the port. Here you will find big jacks, and smaller ones on the flats by Peanut Island. Just south of the inlet is the Sail Fish Club, and exclusive private marina. Tarpon hole up around their pilings. On the North Side is the Sail Fish Marina, public joint with a decent restaurant, and all the big jacks you want to see. They hang out under the cleaning tables and some go thirty pounds. (No fishing sadly).

Let me know when you get it more narrowed down and I'll try to help.

When you get to town, call Lott Bros Tackle. They are a conventional shop, but they've been there forever and have a big board of what's biting where.

Last edited:

random user

Reaction score
I will be in the palm beach area at the end of may. I really want to catch a snook but I will be happy with catching anything.
Translation: " I already jumped into the abyss... I Will fish for what ever swims in the water in front of me!"

I think that is the only effective attitude to have with fly fishing!

Am clueless about where your fishing. Good luck. Am sure you will have fun.

fq13

Reaction score
PS to my above Post

The Indian River around Jensen Beach and Stuart (figure an hour's drive) used to be great for wade fishing for seatrout. But I have no clue how its been effected by the St. Lucie River situation. Ask me in April.

Also, do yourself a favor and bring a spinning rig. There are some great places you simply can't fish from shore with fly tackle due to back cast obstructions or water depth/current speed, but which will net you a lot of fun on light tackle. A decent reel (say a $50 Shimano, Daiwa or Penn) with 12 pound braid and a fluro leader on a $25 Wally World rod (1/8th-1/4 oz) is fine. Gulps are cheap and work great, and so do heavy spoons off the inlet, or tie your own jigs, just pretend its a fly in 1/8th-1/4 0z. The heads are cheap. Get them unpainted off ebay for 9 bucks for 25 shipped. No need for $15 to $20 Yo-zuri lures (though these work well). For Hardware there's a Gander Mt.. And I mentioned Lott Bros, they're higher end, but know their stuff. Either way you'll be good.

One last thing, odds of pompano are slim. Spring here is March and April. May is early summer. For saltwater panfish think sheep's head with crab patterns around bridges and seawalls. If you want bass and blue gills there are plenty of places to get both.

Again, let me know when you have your dates and plans. Hit Google earth and look at Macarthur State Park and Munion Island and you'll see the wadeable flat's I was talking about.

muppetmullet81

Reaction score
Nice, thanks guys. I will be there right at the end of may. I get one day to fish and then we are off to Orlando for a week at Disney. So I want to make the most of it. I wish I would have started doing this years ago when I lived in Boynton but I was a chef and didn't have time for fishing. Snook, Lady Fish, Jacks and Trout are what I really want. But anything will be awsome. Thanks again for the input. I will keep you all posted as the trip gets closer.

fq13

Reaction score
Nice, thanks guys. I will be there right at the end of may. I get one day to fish and then we are off to Orlando for a week at Disney. So I want to make the most of it. I wish I would have started doing this years ago when I lived in Boynton but I was a chef and didn't have time for fishing. Snook, Lady Fish, Jacks and Trout are what I really want. But anything will be awsome. Thanks again for the input. I will keep you all posted as the trip gets closer.
There are plenty of bass up there, if you can skive off the rides for a day (let your wife do the same to hit the outlet malls). If you're staying at the resort look at their web site or call. I think you can arrange to fish their ponds.

PS, if its just one day? Call Rick Hamilton. He will get you into fish. Me, I'm giving advice based on a week of trial and error which you don't have. If you don't have the time, spend the money.