The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Took a Trip

Great report DennisYours are very....rare
Really glad you had a good time and congrats for the big fish
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Thanks, Dennis. I hope one day to get there. I'll bet those wahoo warmed up your rod guides and got the line to singing in tenor.

As fq13 said, they sometimes show up when when catching blackfins or dolphin down here, but don't hang around for long. One of these days, I'm going to be ready for them.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Took a Trip

That Wahoo warmed my guides up and made my reel sing. I had the tuna feathers about 40 yards behind the boat. That fish probably took 100 or more yards of line out. For about 15 minutes, it was a constant battle of line coming in, and line going out.

You should make the trip someday. As hard as the fishing was, it was still wonderful.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-20-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
That Wahoo warmed my guides up and made my reel sing. I had the tuna feathers about 75 yards behind the boat. That fish probably took 100 or more yards of line out. For about 15 minutes, it was a constant battle of line coming in, and line going out.

You should make the trip someday. As hard as the fishing was, it was still wonderful.
I do hope I can there. But it is a long and expensive flight. It is on the bucket list though. That and Australia.

Last edited by fq13; 10-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The gateway to Christmas Island is Honolulu International Airport. The Fiji Airlines flight is in the midday on Tuesdays only, so it is recommended to get to Honolulu the Monday before.

Hawaiian Airlines has many nonstop flights into and from the mainland. One of the guys took one from DFW. That's an eight or nine hour flight.

I could only imagine what the logistics and cost will be to get yourself to Honolulu from Florida.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Nice report looks like you had a great time.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Took a Trip

Looks like an amazing trip, and a successful one at that Dennis! Is that a 3N and a Proaxis?

Beautiful photos of beautiful places! Thanks for writing up the report and guiding me to it.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

great location.

That looks like an standard arbor Abel Super 7n, what rod is that guy fishing? I see you like a Hardy Proaxis.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I'd love to go there Dennis and try for GT's and yellowfins. But I just don't think it's in the cards. I like to see the pictures and watch videos from there though, and am happy for those who can make the trip.

Sorry to hear you had the wind. Wind and overcast can make for some very tough flats fishing, and wind, of course can completely eliminate offshore fishing. Right now the wind is howling outside and the near-shore edge of the gulfstream is right on the reef edge out front, a 15 minute run from here. I love it when that happens and it's calm.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I can't thank you enough for posting the images and the report. I've often wondered what heaven would look like, and I believe I know now. Great post