The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Took a Trip

So last week, I took a trip.

I hung out at this place.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was able to take some boat rides.

I motored around a lagoon.

Walked a few flats.

I used this rod and reel.

I used these flies.

And I caught lots of fish like this one. Dudes like this guy helped me spot fish.

Dennis
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Took a Trip

Nice Dennis,

One of these winters I'm going to go get some sun myself.

Nice

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Very, very cool. I would love to get there some day. Did you try for trevally or just bones?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Nice! Nice shots you chose to share...
Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nice Dennis,

One of these winters I'm going to go get some sun myself.

Nice
I probably chose the worst week in terms of weather. We had high winds and mostly cloudy skies. Due to the lack of light, my guides were making cast calls at 30 feet and in. Many of my casts were roll casts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Did you try for trevally or just bones?
I caught some smaller GTs, Bluefins, and Goldens. I had a two shots at huge GTs and blew all of them. One time I had my slack line tangle itself on a cast. Another time, I had one follow my fly all the way to a point that I had a foot of leader into my guides.

I caught this Wahoo outside of the lagoon. I caught it by trolling a tuna feathers lure with my spin rig.

It tasted great.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-12-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

That is very good. Here (in South Florida) you occasionally get wahoo trolling for sails or mahi, but mostly they lie deep, and to get serious about them guys use lead lines and heavy rods. So they aren't much of a light tackle fish. Getting one on a spinning rod would make the trip worth while for me. My whole life I've fished the salt here and hooked exactly one. It was on a head boat when I was maybe thirteen and I got about two bounds out of it before it was gone. That was thirty years ago. I'd love to catch another.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 PM

During the week, about eight or nine Wahoo and one Pacific Sailfish were landed between the 11 fishermen in the group.

We also cast monster sized Yozuris and Zara Spooks for GTs at areas that were not conducive to fly fishing. No luck.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-12-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis: Great trip report and photos, looks like an awesome place to fish, congrats!

Old 10-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report; great pics! Makes me wanna go...........

Pocono
Old 10-12-2013, 01:38 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

One Day Salt...

Kelly.