The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 12:07 AM

cimages11 is on a distinguished road
Question Question - tippet material

I am planning a trip to the Florida Keys this comming May. I will be using a 9wt., rod with a Feather Craft furled leader. Was planning on using a florocarbon tippet. My question is, can any florocarbon line be used as a tippet, such as Berkley Vanish or any other line. What is the difference between that and a tippet material from say Orvis or any other fly fishing terminal tackle manufacture.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question - tippet material

Cabelas sells floro tippet and leaders. You may want to look into them.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:53 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimages11 View Post
I am planning a trip to the Florida Keys this comming May. I will be using a 9wt., rod with a Feather Craft furled leader. Was planning on using a florocarbon tippet. My question is, can any florocarbon line be used as a tippet, such as Berkley Vanish or any other line. What is the difference between that and a tippet material from say Orvis or any other fly fishing terminal tackle manufacture.
Fred:
Depends on what and where you are fishing...conventional wisdom as told to me my my guides in keys..is ....fluro if you want a faster sink for deeper flats ...however, the reason for hard mono leader and tippet material is better turnover of larger flies in the wind....
IMO if 12, 16 or 20 Vanish is as stiff as RIO et al fluro...would not make any difference. I use a RIO saltwater leader then add tippet in my 8, 9, or 10 wts when changing flies reduces the length...use the stiffest and heaviest tippet that will catch fish...assuming no records...cause you have got to get the fly to the fish and soft and light material which won't turnover or gets blown back or left or right won't get it there...now if you are going with a guide... they have their way and it's best to let them rig it their way with their fly...I use RIO taper leaders and RIO hard saltwater and Gamma Frog Hair or Deep Blue. I always check the material's diameter...and I'll use the heaviest of relatively equal diameter e.g. RIO Hard Saltwater in 8 kg.IGFA is .19 in and it's alot stiffer than fluro so instead of 8 kg fluro at .13 in I'll use 10 kg Gamma Frog hair at .15 in but in most situations with heavier flies in the keys I'll use the RIO Hard at 8 or 6 kg...and loop knot the fly.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Thank you both for the infomation. I guess I will try several different materials and just see what works best for me.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi, take a look at this thread if you have not seen. it.

Frank
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using a FURLED leader, I would "PERSONALLY" use a regular FLUORO line in 8lb, 10lb, etc. what ever pound you think you will need.
I am sorry but I don't see a noticeable sinking on Fluoro, but maybe that is just me.
TIPPET is going to be a smaller diameter than regular fishing fluorocarbon, and a lot more expensive. Where you will be using the big stuff anyway I would save a few dollars and buy the regular line like VANISH, SEAGAR, P-LINE, etc, but be sure it is 100% fluorocarbon and not coated as the coated turns white.
Just pull of however many feet you want and put a Perfection loop in it and attach to the furl.

Also, remember that Fluorocarbon does not disintegrate so pick up all pieces and dispose of it.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Thank you Joni & Frank. That is what I was looking for.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:42 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimages11 View Post
Cimages11,

you can use fluoro but for most of the fishing you will be doing down in the keys use a leader specificaly designed for the fish you will be fishing for. I use the Rio saltwater leaders, they offer leaders for snook, redfish, bonefish, permit, and tarpon. Rio also offers these leaders with shock tippets in the 20-25 lb class for smaller flats species and 80+ for the ir tarpon leaders. you might want to look into getting a few different "styles" for your trip. I would suggest 2 bonefish or permit and 2 redfish or snook leaders. if you are looking to get into some tarpon action your 9wt will do ok for juvies (20-30lbs), i would suggest using the snook leader and replacing the shock tippet with 40lb tippet material. If you are going for bones, use the bonefish leader and replace the shock tippet with 15-20lb fluoro as it does sink slightly faster and is more abrasion resistant if you are fishing areas that have alot of rocks. If you are fishing grassflats then you wont need to do anything but tie on the fly and cast.

Hope this helps