The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fq13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:39 PM

kipm is on a distinguished road
Default tarpon without a crowd

Hello

I got hooked on tarpon in costa rica and wonder if anyone knows of other locations that might be as scenic and productive without fishing around many other people. We had 16 hook ups a day and only saw a few other boats fishing but they were fishing for food fish. Price is also important. We paid $500.00 for a full day and split that between 3 guys. We fished out of a 28foot panga. I think this will be hard to beat but maybe you guys know of something better?

Tight Lines
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: tarpon without a crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipm View Post
Hello

I got hooked on tarpon in costa rica and wonder if anyone knows of other locations that might be as scenic and productive without fishing around many other people. We had 16 hook ups a day and only saw a few other boats fishing but they were fishing for food fish. Price is also important. We paid $500.00 for a full day and split that between 3 guys. We fished out of a 28foot panga. I think this will be hard to beat but maybe you guys know of something better?

Tight Lines
If you don't mind self guiding Call the Everglades park in Flamingo. You can rent a house boat that comfortably sleeps six for less than a grand a day, depending on time of year. That will get you so far into the backcountry you won't see many folks. Plus you save on airfare, food and hotel. You just need to rent some canoes or kayaks or bring your own skiff. The canoes ans kayaks aren't high dollar to rent. Just a thought.

PS If you pay my share of the boat and gas for the skiff, I can bring an action craft and two canoes to the party.:-)
akruss likes this.

Last edited by fq13; 10-27-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tarpon without a crowd

Research the Northern Yucatan region. Here are a few locations.
La Isla Holbox
San Felipe
Campeche
Isla del Sabalo

Dennis