The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 PM

zeus87 is on a distinguished road
Default Port Charlotte/Venice?

Hello Everyone,

I will be visiting my brother who lives in Venice, Florida in the middle of November, and I am looking to give saltwater a try on the fly. Any recommendations? He has a flats boat, but I can't count on him knowing where to go, or wanting to get me out for that matter haha. Anyway, I will have access to a Kayak and a car, so if you know of anywhere local that I might have some success please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Port Charlotte/Venice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I will be visiting my brother who lives in Venice, Florida in the middle of November, and I am looking to give saltwater a try on the fly. Any recommendations? He has a flats boat, but I can't count on him knowing where to go, or wanting to get me out for that matter haha. Anyway, I will have access to a Kayak and a car, so if you know of anywhere local that I might have some success please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know the area that well, but one piece of advice I can give you is to bring a a ten or twelve pound spinning outfit, some 1/8th and 1/4 oz jig heads and buy some white gulp paddle tails and 4" swimming mullet. The reason is that November can be great or you can get a cold front blow through. The temperture doesn't need to drop more than five degrees and the fish will hold deep. Likewise, the wind can kick up and a fly rod is a non starter. It might be perfect, eighty degrees and fair skies, but have a plan B. There's just no telling this time of the year.

Last edited by fq13; 10-28-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Lemon Bay /Stump Pass
I've only fished there once, but that's where you want to go.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Green with envy.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

Don't get to green, our fishing isn't what it used to be. Snook are in the bays and river mouth. You could find them in the intercoastal along the greenbelt park and the bridge just on Venice island. Flounder are hitting well on the beach along with whiting. Flounder near the rocks at Venice jetty will be a sure bet. Drive south to Manasota Key in Englewood. Go to the bay side of Middle Beach, a county park. You can find trails and roads to the water near the canoe launch. Wade for trout and often reds will be just in the drop off inside the point nearest the launch. A super easy wade and often protected from the wind.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM

fish4reds is on a distinguished road

X2 Lemon Bay - You can launch kayaks at Shamrock Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2013, 08:27 PM

Great, thanks guys. I lived down there a few years back (I currently reside in upstate, NY), but failed to fish very much. I do know of the park over by manasota beach, as I use to surf that beach during the storm season.

Anywhere in lemon bay that I can wade? I am nervous to venture out in a kayak just because the water is skinny, and surrounded by mangroves.

I will be sure to report back. Thanks again!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87 View Post
Great, thanks guys. I lived down there a few years back (I currently reside in upstate, NY), but failed to fish very much. I do know of the park over by manasota beach, as I use to surf that beach during the storm season.

Anywhere in lemon bay that I can wade? I am nervous to venture out in a kayak just because the water is skinny, and surrounded by mangroves.

I will be sure to report back. Thanks again!
When the water gets to skinny for the kayak? Thats when yoy start wading.:-)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM

I meant as in fish breaking off in the mangroves from moving my kayak around. But yes, I can take that approach too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
When the water gets to skinny for the kayak? Thats when yoy start wading.:-)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylobass View Post
Don't get to green, our fishing isn't what it used to be. Snook are in the bays and river mouth. You could find them in the intercoastal along the greenbelt park and the bridge just on Venice island. Flounder are hitting well on the beach along with whiting. Flounder near the rocks at Venice jetty will be a sure bet. Drive south to Manasota Key in Englewood. Go to the bay side of Middle Beach, a county park. You can find trails and roads to the water near the canoe launch. Wade for trout and often reds will be just in the drop off inside the point nearest the launch. A super easy wade and often protected from the wind.
Heck I'm giving you my spot just made for wading! Also wade at Indian Mound Park just north of the boat ramps. Its at the end of Dearborn St. in Englewood.