The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough
Default 9 ft max for bones?

Hello.

I'm thinking about getting a 7 wt rod. It would be great if I could use it for steelhead and occasional bones (i have a sage xi as well). With the windy conditions common in tropical settings, is 9'6" or 10' just too long? I know it's not ideal, but guys do use 9 ft-plus, is it worthy trying?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 9 ft max for bones?

If you're on the flats its fine. If you're using it in a creek for snook and reds a ten foot might be a bit much. That said I just bought a nine and a half foot Orvis eight weight and love it. And I'm considerting an eleven foot switch for areas where my back cast is restricted, but I wouldn't consider an over head cast with that rig if there was a mangrove within a hundred yards.
Bonefish are a very occasional thing for me, I live about a hundred miles too far north for them, but I throw a lot of the same flies on the flats for reds. I will say this. You're going to be throwing small but heavy flies. In the creeks I use a fast six weight. Out on the flats I used a ten weight which was overkill. Its why I bought the eight. But a six was too light for turning a fly over in the wind. I'd think about an eight rather than a seven. But just call some keys fly shops, World Wide Sports man Islamorada is a place to start. Like wise some of the guides. They can probaly give you the info you need. I will say that a lot of the guides use Redingtons, good enough and won't break the bank. You can do better, but I'd look at them.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 9 ft max for bones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterpunk View Post
use it for steelhead and occasional bones
Yes! The longer rod is a better choice for steelhead and will work for bones. If you were wanting a rod primarily for bones but occasionally steelhead, I would recommend the 9'. A 7wt is ideal for this. My first choice,
MoscaPescador likes this.