The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default new to the salt

i will be fly fishing the surf for the first time this spring, looking for a new rig, i was planning on buying a salt reel, do i need any other special precautions? i plan on fishing it in freshwater the rest of the time.

flymoron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: new to the salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
i will be fly fishing the surf for the first time this spring, looking for a new rig, i was planning on buying a salt reel, do i need any other special precautions? i plan on fishing it in freshwater the rest of the time.

flymoron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where are you fishing and what are you fishing for? Those are the two key questions.
PS, The lines between fresh and salt reels are blurred these days. With modern quality reels if you rinse and lube them religiously a good freshwater reel will do fine.
jbird likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

florida panhandle/gulf shores in the spring, i thought i would try for whiting?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'd look at an eight to ten weight in a fast action, it will also work for snook and bass. And use a good stripping basket, I learned that one the hard way. Figure clousers or epoxy headed streamers in the surf, so you want a rod that will turn them over, but not kick your butt to cast. As to reels anything that will hold 150_200 yards of 20 pound dacron with a decent drag will do.

Last edited by fq13; 10-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

An 8-wt with fast action will provide a good all around platform for most surf fishing. It will cut through the wind and provide enough backbone to fight fish in rough water conditions. This is a good time to check out the Xi3 from Sage. I've seen them discounted recently, and it looks like Sage has introduced a new saltwater rod, which I assume is replacing the Xi3. That would mean close out prices may be in the cards.

The Xi3 is purpose-built for the salt and has a very smooth, fast action. It is a wonderful rod to cast with the right line married to it.

As far as reels, it depends on your budget. Most of today's reels out there will fit the bill as long as you follow fq13's advice and give them proper care. Keep in mind that the higher end saltwater reels were designed and built to withstand many years of harsh conditions.

Once you fish the surf, you'll likely want to make a habit of doing so. My advice would be to invest in gear that will do the job consistently without fail.

I use my surf gear for largemouth bass as well, so your rig does not have to be a one-trick pony.

My rigs are Sage Xi3 and Z-Axis rods with Abel and Ross reels. Tibor, Bauer, Nautilus, Charlton, Hatch, Hardy, and Galvan also make quality reels that will keep you smiling out there and have the reputations of solid companies that will back up that investment you make with good customer service.

Good luck.

-VB
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I would also recommend an 8wt for your needs.An 8wt covers more bases in FW and SW better than any other rod weight.It will handle anything your likely to catch in the surf and it makes a great bass rod in FW.I see no reason to go any heavier.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Check out the Redington predator 8wt... Such awesome rods... Wish I owned more.
kingfish87 likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 AM

thebunky_1974 is on a distinguished road

We travel there every summer and I usually find a cheap bait caster river type rig to take. I usually spend $75 or so.

This year I want to find a fly combo to take but also keep as an investment. Those bait caster combos I buy at Academy Sports usually don't make the trip home due to the salt and sand corrosion. There's only so much a can of WD-40 will do.

Anyway, on this fly rod/reel setup I'm wondering about length. I've been looking at the combo at the link, an Orvis Access, but the 9 foot length has me concerned about my back cast and hitting the sand. I'm wondering if I need to look at a 10 feet spey rod instead.

Saltwater Fly Rod Outfit / Access 908-4 Fly Rod Outfit—Tip Flex -- Orvis

This will be the primary use for this setup. I have an 8 wt TFO/Redington setup for my Bass and Carp needs.

The only other concern is the wind. While bait fishing, I usually throw a 1oz shad so that I can get it as close to the second sandbar as possible or over it. The second sandbar is what I call the shallow area just before the gradual drop off to the deeper waters of the gulf.

Will the 8 wt line be easy to cast into the constant wind down there?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 AM

rpene is on a distinguished road

I have a abel 13 wt rod and reel that I have never used I would like to sale
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think It's also called sand trout.

Agreed...an 8 wt would be ideal.

Dont just concentrate on the beaches. Mouths of residential canals, Bridges....you can usually find good wading opps. at most Florida parks along the coast.

Spring is a transition time. The timing will be weather related. Water temp, moon phase, tides, pressure...will all play a roll daily.

Make sure you on moving water...and you have won half the battle.