The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By theboz
  • 1 Post By milt spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default A diffrent montauk

Having lived and spent many falls at the Point you start to know what to expect at certain times during the season.Usually I try to take several trips in October and November by myself or with my son. We sometimes get a boat or borrow one or at times we fish the surf.Two men in a boat plenty of room to fly cast and easy to chase all those top water Stripers and Albies!
This year we decided to try something different so we invited my daughters boy friend and one of my neighbors and his son. We also took one of the guys that fish with us in Pa regularly.We rented a 32 ft with twin 225s for room and power to chase the schools.Since we had three fly guys and three spin guys we the fly guys would take turns at bow and stern casting.
Since nobody beside myself and my son had ever fished the fall run on the ride out we explained how we would be chasing bait and blitzes and that there would be a lot of other boats doing the same so we needed to be aware.
Funny thing not only was our boat and group diffrent but Montauk was as well! It was a Saturday and there were so few boats you would think it was a weekday! And in 10 hours of fishing not one blitz or even a tell tale slick or bait bust!But it turned out to be a great trip with plenty of Bass to go around and lots of bonus fish hitting our flys and bucktails! Big Sea Bass and Porgies and a mess of Fluke and Blues!Really liked this trip because we really had to think and find structure and current breaks and it was fun with fewer boats and comraderie and basically doing it the hard way!
Here are some pics!

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Great having Montauk pics with no boats in the background!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A diffrent montauk

Now that looks like a good time John. I enjoy just being out on big water in a boat but to be alone and catch fish, priceless,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Hit the nail on the head Ard! Especially having it to yourself at the Point!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: looks like you guys had a great trip with some gorgeous fish despite the lack of schoolies! Funny seeing you guys out fishing in t-shirts, we have been fishing for trout here wearing 4-5 layers of clothes.

Larry

Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
John: looks like you guys had a great trip with some gorgeous fish despite the lack of schoolies! Funny seeing you guys out fishing in t-shirts, we have been fishing for trout here wearing 4-5 layers of clothes.

Larry
We got lucky with the weather Larry. The next day we were going to fish the beach it dropped down to the 40s with heavy winds!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Great TR Boz! How many thousands of fish have you caught whilst wearing that hat? milt
theboz likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Great TR Boz! How many thousands of fish have you caught whilst wearing that hat? milt
As always very observent! Lucky Striper hat! Too many!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Boz,

You can't get much better than having the place all to yourself, good friends, and catching fish.

Great report.

-VB
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I was only out twice this year to the Point and had similar experiences. Little rain bait up top hence no albies, sand eels down deep so that's where the striped bass and sea bass were. Sunk lines are not my thing but neither are blues biting off my flies so deep we went. Still, not many stripers and no big ones though the bunker chunk wire liners managed many dead cows. I heard the albies were annoying the tuna guys off shore on the gulf stream just no bait balls to draw them to the Point. Some seem to believe that Sandy impacted bait fish spawning last fall. Anyway, it is very cool to have family and friends spend a great day together like you arranged and I see the flag by the Light in you mages is pretty limp on that balmy day.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:42 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Looks like a great day out with good friends and family!
Thanks for sharing!

Chris