The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Sickling permit

For those of you who plan to go fishing for permit, here is a 20 sec video (two resolutions) of what they can look like when their strobes are both on and off. This was not a bright sunny day and the video was taken through a polarizing filter - so it will look nearly identical to what you'd see through sunglasses.

I spotted this fish while a passenger/video guy in a boat doing probably 25 mph while crossing this "lake". The fish was at least 250 yds off when I spotted his strobe. For DIY guys on their first trip to the tropics it's handy to know what your quarry looks like

The first is 1 megabyte the second is 4 megabytes. I don't use youtube anymore since google bought it., so both are wmv files and not flash.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/per...ckle_20sec.wmv

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/per...20sec_high.wmv
mridenour and flyfishnbum like this.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sickling permit

Thank you for sharing
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Cool videos, thanks for sharing. Is it the tail or dorsal fin that is 'flashing'?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

The beautiful fish with no mouth, that I have been chasing for 4 years down there....haha

Awesome videos! Seeing a permit do that gets the blood pumping.

Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Your welcome. I figured some guys might like to see what they will be looking for. I remember going to the library when I moved to Colorado and looked at all the elk pictures I could find before hunting season since I'd never seen one.

That's the tail. Often there will be two or three together or even large schools, and their flashes are definitely distinctive. Other times they just look like new mangrove shoots where you know there aren't any.