The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Trip Recommendations for solo angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Thanks oregonism! I'm going to look into that. I'm always interested in keeping trips budget friendly. I found that Paul Petty's name came up as a local guide on the island. Any experience with him, or other local guides?
I didn't actually get a guide because my wife and I were on a pretty extreme budget when we went for our honeymoon. It was a little foolish in retrospect, but I still had a great time. I met a few guides at one of the bars, and they all seemed very professional... they typically just take clients out to walk Savannah Sound, which has a large amount of fish. A tip to save money: don't drink beer. Drink rum! Rum is $3/liter and beer is $50 a case. We spent like $300 on beer our first two weeks, which was pretty dumb

Oh, and on a side note: fly color is important and seemed different than most fly color advice I've read. I didn't catch a fish until I switched to pink Gotchas (from more subtle white or tan), and I met another guy that was using these really flashy orange and red gotchas and catching fish. Basically, bring lots of colors and be willing to experiment. There isn't a fly shop last I checked too, so bring lots of flies and backup equipment if you can. Guides probably provide some flies as well. I also met a guy that was fishing little rubber gummy minnows and knocking them dead... probably can't hurt to have a few as a last resort.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 AM

catspaw is on a distinguished road

I fished with Paul once, weather and conditions were awful, clouds and wind, but he put me on fish and we caught a few. He's a good guy and knows his spots. I've been fishing Eleuthera for over ten years, it's an easy place to fish but not an easy place to catch fish. Savannah Sound is beautiful and has a fair number of fish and a few big ones as well but these fish see quite a few flies and are well educated. All the easy access areas have fish but again they're not easy. I usually stay around Gov. Harbour and fish south. For me the easiest fish to catch have always been on the ocean side if you get some calm conditions. I have seen one permit and zero tarpon in all the years I've been going there but I go in Feb., later in the year when the water warms they may show. You'll need a car.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've been looking at all my different options. Now I'm just in the final stages of deciding just how much I'm comfortable spending. I've got places lined up in a few different budget ranges, so I feel like I'm prepared. Hoping to make something work out though, as this current arctic blast that we're dealing with in Minnesota is nothing short of disheartening. It makes you realize just how long you have to go before you are able to get back on the drift boat and chase the musky dreams.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
I fished with Paul once, weather and conditions were awful, clouds and wind, but he put me on fish and we caught a few. He's a good guy and knows his spots. I've been fishing Eleuthera for over ten years, it's an easy place to fish but not an easy place to catch fish. Savannah Sound is beautiful and has a fair number of fish and a few big ones as well but these fish see quite a few flies and are well educated. All the easy access areas have fish but again they're not easy. I usually stay around Gov. Harbour and fish south. For me the easiest fish to catch have always been on the ocean side if you get some calm conditions. I have seen one permit and zero tarpon in all the years I've been going there but I go in Feb., later in the year when the water warms they may show. You'll need a car.
Good to know. There are also miles upon miles of flats on the far northeast corner. There is a quiet little town up there, and we just stopped by to check it out one day when we were exploring. Saw a massive school of bones just cruising around.

But, if I were going for a fishing trip, Governors Harbor definitely has the easiest access to necessities and fish. If you do stay, be sure to check close in during the highest point in the tide... Me and another fisherman saw several very large bones cruising right up near the sea wall, likely mudding for some crabs on what is usually dry sand. They were substantially larger than most of the fish I saw cruising the flats on the incoming tide.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 PM

boogeyklat is on a distinguished road

I have been to Eleuthera and I had a great time fishing both sides of the island. People say it gets a lot of pressure but I think its just something people say. I saw one other guy fishing the whole time I was there. The bonefish hit everything. One side was reefs and the other side were flats. I caught everything. Grouper, houndfish, cuda, tons of snapper, grunts, permit and bonefish. I even caught bones in the surf. You do not need a guide here and that is the reason I went. Dropping 500 on a guide is out of the question for me.

I also recommend Turks. If you like kayaks you can get away from the island and stalk the flats for huge bones, lemon shark, snapper, tarpon etc. It easy to get to and if you might be able to stay with the guy who rents the kayaks. He has a charter biz but is the nicest guy and he will show you exactly where to go. Turks is way more refined than Eleuthera but the fishing is amazing if you get away from the island. Bring spinning gear for sharks.