The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Trip Recommendations for solo angler

Being that the weather right now is about -4* with a wind chill hovering in the -20's, I am going a bit stir crazy. Crazy enough that I need to get out of Minnesota and head south.

Here's the deal. I'm going to be flying solo. I'm looking for any lodges that you guys know of that offer good single occupancy rates. Looking to head down for a week, spending at least a few days fishing for bonefish. I'm open to other species too though, after I catch some bonefish. A shot or two at a tarpon or permit would not upset me.

So, can you offer up a good lodge for a solo angler somewhere down in the Bahamas that will have good fishing, both guided and a chance at wading from the resort? Perhaps the Bahamas aren't the best place. Would I be better off going somewhere else?

Is February a bad time of year to do this type of trip? If so, when would I be better off going?

Once I start getting some ideas here, I'll start asking a few more questions.
mridenour and kingfish87 like this.

Last edited by ted4887; 12-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trip Recommendations for solo angler

Haha! This very idea was going through my head the other night.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I have lived in the west for all of my life (pretty long time) I expect cold in Idaho but while I am down here in Grand Junction I expect it to be dry and sunny and warmish (40's anyways) until January.

We hit -10 last night, again....winter is still over a week away and we have smashed records left and right and we have more snow on the ground than I can believe already.

I am on Orbitz trying to figure out where to go.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Oh and they recorded the worlds coldest temperature ever yesterday!! I DO believe in climate change...Cep't now it's going the wrong way!!
mcnerney, ted4887 and mridenour like this.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 PM

catspaw is on a distinguished road

All the lodges in the Bahamas will accommodate a solo angler, there are endless opportunities, they run from very expensive to very reasonable. Feb will have you throwing a mainly bones, tarpon and permit usually later in the year as the water warms. Belize will offer a shot at all three but the bones are usually much smaller than those in the Bahamas. I'd start by deciding how much you want to spend.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot catspaw!

I'd like to keep trip costs, excluding airfaire, under $3,000. I've talked to a few lodges based in different parts of the Bahamas, and it seems like this will be doable at many of them. If the costs need to exceed this, it's alright. But keeping to the low end of my budget is my goal. Keep in mind, I don't need, nor want, 5 star resorts. I want to fish, and eat good local food, and relax. I don't want to worry about showing up to the lodge and having to throw on a shirt and tie for dinner. I just need the bare bones (get it?).

Also, what kind of weather can I generally expect down there in February? I would really hate for my first salt trip to get spoiled by a monster cold front.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Two choices for me. Grand Bahamas stay at Royal Atlantic( much cheaper than lodge) . You can wade the beach or go out with a guide from Licaya. I like Tommy Folley.
Other choice Islamorada. More fish more guides . Stay at Key Lantern(cheap).
Hardyreels, mcnerney and ted4887 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Keys are cheaper and Islamorada and long key have some no star fishermans motels for short money. Clean sheets, hot shower and linoleum floors. All you need, and a two block walk to to either the Gulf or the Atlantic if that. Good guides also. Checkout Bud and Mary's on Islamorada. Downside is, a front can move in any day, wind and spitting rain. Probably not much of a termp drop, its the wind that is the issue. Still, if you're willing to use a spinning rod or go offshore for sails the fish are there.

Another fun and cheapish option is Palm Beach for spinner sharks. These are five to six feet and come into within a hundred yards of the beach. And closer. A guide will tease them up and you cast. Same as with sails. The spinners, well, they jump and spin. Figure $400 a day for a guide. Hotel is on you, Motel Six to the Breakers, but the weather is not much of an issue.
For Bones, the Islands are good, but I can't help you there.
Hardyreels, ted4887 and wcunnin3 like this.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I'm going to ask a few more questions now, a little more specific than my original questions.

Right now, I'm leaning towards setting up this trip for the end of February or early march for a few different reasons. 1. Avoid Spring Break travel headaches 2. Seems like a relatively dry month. Does anyone have a reason I should book for a different time of the year?

Right now, I've got two lodges that I'm leaning towards. One is a fully guided trip, 1 person/1 boat kind of deal, which works out nicely for me. This will be a 5 night/4 fishing day trip, and I'll spend a day or two in Freeport or Nassau seeing some local highlights. I like this idea a lot. The place is called Andros South Lodge.

The other place is kind of a hybrid DIY/guide trip on Acklins, where the guide will take the fishermen out to the flats and offer help as needed. It's a little cheaper, but being that this is my first time with bones. However, the price difference is relatively substantial (+$1000). If I did a few days worth of guided fishing, and a few with DIY, the prices between the two resorts would be This place is Salina Point Inn Bonefish Lodge.

Overall, I think I'm leaning towards Andros for the simple reason that I feel it offers better fishing opportunities. I like the idea of there being 3 bights on the island, along with it being one on one guiding in the boat. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is there something else I should be considering here?

Last edited by ted4887; 12-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

If you are at all on a budget, I can't recommend Eletheura in the Bahamas enough. It's all wade fishing for the most part. Go out with a guide for the first day to get some local knowledge (couple hundred bucks or so), then you can go out on your own... there are several enormous flats to fish and not too many other fisherman. There are a huge amount of bones, plus you get shots at the occasional baby tarpon or permit (though I saw none my last trip down). There are also a huge amount of sizeable barracuda, and you will often see other flats species like Jack or Trevally.

Oh, and it's cheap... there are single person accommodations for ~$60 a night, and I think there may be a hostel. You can also hitchhike anywhere on the island, but I recommend staying in governors harbor. There are two productive flats right in town, plus great flats both south and north (Savannah sound and the flats at the airport respectively).

Lastly, you get to fish two incoming tides, one after the other because of the geography. It effectively doubles the good fishing hours. Oh, and Eletheura is totally non-commercial and the people are wonderful. It's one of my happy places.
ted4887, kingfish87 and wcunnin3 like this.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks oregonism! I'm going to look into that. I'm always interested in keeping trips budget friendly. I found that Paul Petty's name came up as a local guide on the island. Any experience with him, or other local guides?