The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice
Default Re: Hey Guys

Welcome Ed. You've come to the right place--you'll find anglers who can advise you on trout fishing, bonefish fishing, and virtually every other type of fly fishing.

I went on my first bonefish trip to Belize this past March and had a great time. My only other fly fishing experience is fishing wets and streamers for salmon and steelhead with an 8-wt, occasionally going for grayling and whitefish with a 6-wt here in the NWT. I can only add to what others had suggested, especially the deneki site. Lots of great tips and videos there. I hope one of this forum's regulars, sweetandsalt, chimes in on this thread as he has a ton of salt water fly fishing experience fishing including bones.

I went to Turneffe Flats in Belize (very highly recommended by the way) and the guides there helped me a lot, as you would expect. My casting is. . .well, adequate, I'd say, and I did fine. If you can cast an 8-wt faster action rod about 60-80 feet, and double-haul to boot, you'll do fine. The flies I used 90% of the time were Gotchas and Pops Bonefish Bitters in brown and green (in fact, one of my guides was Pops himself, about whom I could spend this entire thread telling you stories).

Don't be intimidated. If you've fly fished before and have average skills I think you'll do fine. And believe me, catching bones is a total blast. You won't believe how much line and backing a 2-3 pound fish can rip off your reel in virtually no time at all.

Good luck.

Scott
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM

TroutEd is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the welcomes and the great info...ok here's the scoop. My job takes me to the Bahamas for several weeks a year. I won't get into specifics but I have a lot of free time. For the last several years I've had all the relaxing I can stand. There's literally nothing to do but read, watch the ocean, work out or eat. Unless you fish. The one time we looked into going fishing the guide fees were astronomical. Not if you're taking a vacation trip for the purpose of fishing, but for a mornings diversion way out of the budget.

Anyway, not too long ago a buddy called me up out of the blue and invited me to go fly fishing. Having not fly fished since I was a kid, I was a little skeptical, but he invited me over to talk about it and do a little yard casting.
Next thing I know I have a rod, waders and an ever increasing amount of stuff associated with my now burning passion for trout fishing. Not to mention having attended an excellent two day course in the Smoky Mtns. that got me over the knowing nothing stage and squarely into the knowing damn little stage but catching fish..lol

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago while down in the islands. I mention to a friend that it might be interesting to do a little bone fishing. To which she informs me that her dad lives right on the flats and I should go by and meet him. So I go and OMG is it ever the perfect place. To boot, they have a couple cabins that they rent and a couple boats specifically for bone fishermen. Her dad and I hit it off and I now have a standing invitation to come as often as I want and even use the boats if they are available.

Then the boss says...hey order a couple of rods and go learn how to do that..then you can take customers out on occasion.

So here I am...2 new Allen Xa2's with Alpha III's on the way and headed back down right after Christmas. So I gotta get up to speed in pretty short order. The up side is I have lots of time to trial and error my way along. I have done some fishing with guides in years past but with spinning tackle so I have some clue what I'm looking for but not much, so this should be a blast.

Verbose enough? and BTW Justin is just a jewel to do business with and I'll be giving my impressions of the new gear as well when it gets here.

I'll shut up now and go looking for those books and articles...thanks again and I look forward to being around for a long time to come. Pics to follow in a couple weeks
kingfish87 likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 AM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard. You've got good equipment. I use the A3 for bones. I got 3 yesterday in HI. 5,6, and an 8. Smooth drag, instant start-up. You're going to like it.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutEd View Post
Thanks guys for the welcomes and the great info...ok here's the scoop. My job takes me to the Bahamas for several weeks a year. I won't get into specifics but I have a lot of free time. For the last several years I've had all the relaxing I can stand. There's literally nothing to do but read, watch the ocean, work out or eat. Unless you fish. The one time we looked into going fishing the guide fees were astronomical. Not if you're taking a vacation trip for the purpose of fishing, but for a mornings diversion way out of the budget.

Anyway, not too long ago a buddy called me up out of the blue and invited me to go fly fishing. Having not fly fished since I was a kid, I was a little skeptical, but he invited me over to talk about it and do a little yard casting.
Next thing I know I have a rod, waders and an ever increasing amount of stuff associated with my now burning passion for trout fishing. Not to mention having attended an excellent two day course in the Smoky Mtns. that got me over the knowing nothing stage and squarely into the knowing damn little stage but catching fish..lol

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago while down in the islands. I mention to a friend that it might be interesting to do a little bone fishing. To which she informs me that her dad lives right on the flats and I should go by and meet him. So I go and OMG is it ever the perfect place. To boot, they have a couple cabins that they rent and a couple boats specifically for bone fishermen. Her dad and I hit it off and I now have a standing invitation to come as often as I want and even use the boats if they are available.

Then the boss says...hey order a couple of rods and go learn how to do that..then you can take customers out on occasion.

So here I am...2 new Allen Xa2's with Alpha III's on the way and headed back down right after Christmas. So I gotta get up to speed in pretty short order. The up side is I have lots of time to trial and error my way along. I have done some fishing with guides in years past but with spinning tackle so I have some clue what I'm looking for but not much, so this should be a blast.

Verbose enough? and BTW Justin is just a jewel to do business with and I'll be giving my impressions of the new gear as well when it gets here.

I'll shut up now and go looking for those books and articles...thanks again and I look forward to being around for a long time to come. Pics to follow in a couple weeks
All joking and fishing aside. Can you get me on with this company?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
All joking and fishing aside. Can you get me on with this company?

Can you fly a jet? :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Touche'.

You dadgum jetsetters, always leaving us lay folk behind!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Touche'.

You dadgum jetsetters, always leaving us lay folk behind!
It's a living. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

What would you charge a senior forum member for jet flying lessons?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutEd View Post
Can you fly a jet? :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, but I'm willing to learn. In the meantime, I'll offer my services such as carrying luggage, cabana boy, turndown service, shaking martinis...whatever it takes.

...or, I'll tie your flies.

-VB
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
What would you charge a senior forum member for jet flying lessons?
The lessons are free...the jet, not so much..

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
No, but I'm willing to learn. In the meantime, I'll offer my services such as carrying luggage, cabana boy, turndown service, shaking martinis...whatever it takes.

...or, I'll tie your flies.

-VB
Ummmm, get in line.