The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Bite Wire (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/340256-bite-wire.html)

akruss 12-17-2013 08:50 PM

Bite Wire

I just purchased some 20# Rio Bite Wire. I've been successful attaching it to a fly with both an improved clinch with 3 wraps and a loop knot with three wraps. However, I'm having a difficult time knotting it to a monofilament tippet. I've tried blood knot and surgeons knot but both pull loose. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, for Jack Crevalle and Bonito, is 20# enough? I'm using 16# tippets so I'm really asking about the #20 pound bite wire standing up against toothy mouths. Rio also sells Bite Wire in 30 and 40#.

brookfieldangler 12-17-2013 09:00 PM

Re: Bite Wire

Albrite knot with the mono being the twisted portion

fq13 12-17-2013 11:54 PM

I usually just use twenty or thirty pound fluro/mono as I hate wire. And frankly you really don't need it for jacks. Just use twenty or thirty pound with a loop knot or clinch to the fly and an albright or surgeons knot to the leader. But for barracuda, sharks or kings wire is a necessary evil. Here I like a haywire twist, or just crimp it to make a loop on the end and then attach that to the mono leader. Remember, NEVER cut your wire. Always bend it off or you'll leave a sharp point. The haywire takes some practice, but its a classic for a reason.
Good Luck.

akruss 12-19-2013 04:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted my guide and he suggested a 25# mono/flouro bite tippet, as fq13 stated, instead of wire depending on what fish are around, so I'll start there. I will try an Albright knot, as brookfieldangler suggests, with the Rio Bite Wire just to see how well it works. I use an Albright to connect braid to fluorocarbon my largemouth bass casting rig and it works well but I don't like tying them when I'm fishing - must be getting old, LOL.

fq13 12-20-2013 12:37 PM

A tip for the albright. Use forceps to hold the loop on the larger line. That gives you both hands free to do the wraps. It makes tying the thing a breeze.

Rip Tide 12-20-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fq13 (Post 621875)
Here I like a haywire twist, or just crimp it to make a loop on the end and then attach that to the mono leader. Remember, NEVER cut your wire. Always bend it off or you'll leave a sharp point. The haywire takes some practice, but its a classic for a reason.

You're thinking of single strand stainless piano wire.
akruss is using 64 strand knotable wire.
Big difference

the Albright Special is the solution either way.

akruss 12-24-2013 10:32 AM

I've tied an Albright Special in practice several times with Bite Wire and fluorocarbon tippet. It works well when the knot is perfect but I sure wouldn't want to do it when the feeding frenzy is in front of me, LOL. I have to use some sort of stiffner, nail or swizel stick, to help with the wraps. It makes me nervous to see the bite wire just looped once in the knot but it sure seems to hold. Thanks for the suggestion.

fq13 12-24-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akruss (Post 624106)
I've tied an Albright Special in practice several times with Bite Wire and fluorocarbon tippet. It works well when the knot is perfect but I sure wouldn't want to do it when the feeding frenzy is in front of me, LOL. I have to use some sort of stiffner, nail or swizel stick, to help with the wraps. It makes me nervous to see the bite wire just looped once in the knot but it sure seems to hold. Thanks for the suggestion.

Use pair of forceps or hackle pliers to hold the loop in your leader. This gives you both hands to manage the wraps.

Rip Tide 12-24-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akruss (Post 624106)
It makes me nervous to see the bite wire just looped once in the knot but it sure seems to hold. .

The Albright will slip easily if it's not tight and you need to be sure that the wraps all lay down in order (which ain't easy).
I like to hedge my bet and 'lock' the Albright with uni knot, but that's just me. I've never seen anyone else do that.

delopez 12-24-2013 10:05 PM

I use nylon coated wire. I make tube flies, mostly, for pike. I use the Bauer pike rig. Basically, you twist the wire five or six time and hit it with a lighter, and leave a loop at one end. The same thing on the other side. If you leave and twist two big loops, you should be able to slide it through the hook, around the fly, and pull it tight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk