The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Some California central coast surf fishing...

Posted this in the Pacific southwest forum but figured a lot of people probably don't go there.

Thanks to the help here and the great advice received at the California Fly Shop in San Francisco, I was able to fish a little bit during my Honeymoon back in september and I had a LOT of fun learning how to fly fish the surf!! And to my surprise, I even had a little success! I fished a total of 4 hours spread on 4 outings and two spots and I caught a number of three fish totaling three species. Very happy considering it was my first time surffishing and I had no coach!! It was though, the waves were pretty big... But I had a lot of fun!

(you don't need to catch fish to enjoy yourself down there, the scenery and the oceam is more than inspiring!)

Click the image to open in full size.

California Halibut small one

Walleye surfperch

Barred surfperch

We also saw quite a few beautiful streams that seemed trouty enough, but they were closed to fishing... Trying to reestablish stealheads if I'm not mistaken.

Wee stealhead trout
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some California central coast surf fishing...

Great shots! The surf seems so intimidating to me. Put me in a river and I get it....out in the giant ocean, I'm lost.
nir likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
....out in the giant ocean, I'm lost.
and that is the beauty of surf fishing!! I felt so small! The feeling is non describable!
mridenour likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Great report and photos ! Are you maybe along the coast in Marin County in that first photo ?

Holy Mackerel !
Kingfish
Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Nir, if you were in Big Sur, that area is currently burning (approx 600 acres by now) right near the river. Google "big sur fire" for the news. Wildfires in Dec... Amazing...
Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 PM

TrophyShots is on a distinguished road

Love it!
That's one of the things I want to do...Fly Fish the SURF!!!
Right on!

And congratulations looks like you had an incredible honeymoon!

Aloha!

Roland
nir likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Nir, if you were in Big Sur, that area is currently burning (approx 600 acres by now) right near the river. Google "big sur fire" for the news. Wildfires in Dec... Amazing...
Wow! That's sad!! We were indeed in Big Sur and actually spent some time at Pfeiffer Beach right next to the fire.

Quote:
Great report and photos ! Are you maybe along the coast in Marin County in that first photo ?

Holy Mackerel !
Kingfish
The first photo was taken in the south of the Big Sur region.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nir View Post
Wow! That's sad!! We were indeed in Big Sur and actually spent some time at Pfeiffer Beach right next to the fire.
Thought that's where you said you'd be...glad you enjoyed our coast. Thanks for reporting...mike
Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 PM

hotfish is on a distinguished road

When its so cold here I like to look at you guys in jackets and giggle and then I cry about not haveing that view !
nir likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great pictures!

Always good to know that the forum was helpful to people, please keep up with us so we can follow your fishing development.

Ard
nir likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;