The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fq13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough
Default Shrimp Patterns

I'm going to tie up some shrimp patterns for inshore fishing near Crystal River, Florida. Anyone have a favorite pattern or two or know where to look to find some?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shrimp Patterns

The ultra shrimp by Bob Popovics google it there is a video on you tube
Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I do a real minimalist one on a 2x hook. I tie in most of a burnt orange marabou feather, stem and all as a tail, about 2/3 a hooks length, or at least a half. This gets a couple of strands of flash on both sides, but just one or two. The body is thin earthworm colored chenille witha strand of hackle palmered in. Up front I use heavy dumb bell eyes tied clouser style so it rides hook up and eye down. Then just bounce it off the bottom. It works.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I tied a clouser to look like a small swimming shrimp.

put some flsh and rubber legs out back, pair of mono eyes, then regular clouser bucktail with a grizzly hackle rib. I thought it looked pretty good, the big sheepshead i caught ate the thing almost as soon as it hit the water.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 PM

I looked up the Ultra Shrimp on "You Tube" and it looks pretty good. There are some other patterns on You Tube that I may try too. Thanks for the tip.

fq13, I'll try your tie too.

I have volumes of fresh water and salmon/steelhead patterns but no salt water ones to speak of. I'll have to take care of that ...
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruss View Post
I looked up the Ultra Shrimp on "You Tube" and it looks pretty good. There are some other patterns on You Tube that I may try too. Thanks for the tip.

fq13, I'll try your tie too.

I have volumes of fresh water and salmon/steelhead patterns but no salt water ones to speak of. I'll have to take care of that ...
I reccomend this one all the time but grab Ed Jaworski's Essential Salt Water Flies. Its on Kindle. It has most everything you need. That and Clousers Flies, though just a knowing how to tie a clouser and you're good.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Not to sound like an aging luddite but YouTube maybe the best thing that happened to fly tying in long time.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:43 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not to sound like an aging luddite but YouTube maybe the best thing that happened to fly tying in long time.
It certainly has been a lot of help to many folks! I don't check Youtube much, but if you can't sit down with someone to learn tying face to face, it's about as good as you can get if you find the right video!

Back to your question about shrimp, IMO there are two basic types. Those that are fished on the bottom, like many of the "flats" styles & those fished in open water, whether in the wash of the surf or drifted in a current. Both types can have many applications in specific areas. That Ultra Shrimp is a good fly, but I think it's a better fly for open water than for bottom applications. The hook down attitude tends to snag frequently unless the bottom is fairly clean. For on the bottom a hook up pattern is a better choice.

If you go back in tying history to the 70's, Mark Sosin's Blossom series of flies worked well as shrimp patterns, and were very similar to what fq13 described. Blossums worked well as other things that fish eat too. A General Practitioner is a good shrimp pattern, even for Stripers, particularly when drifted in current. It would probably work for Snook & other tropical water species. If you're fishing the bottom, a Gotcha & it's variations are all good shrimp imitations. As are the Crazy Charlie styles. They're usually tied rather small, but don't have to be.

One of my favorites for bottom fishing is a pattern called a Squimp, which is also a pattern I like as a crayfish imitation.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
A General Practitioner is a good shrimp pattern, even for Stripers, particularly when drifted in current. It would probably work for Snook & other tropical water species.
A lot of people around here use a GP variation.
In fact it's so often called a "GP" that some folks don't even know what those initials stand for .

My own personal shrimp flies look more like your basic, generic fur nymph.
I also tie a gurgler style fly for top water and a Borski craft fur shrimp variation that I got from some place or other
I love the Borski flies. They're cheap and easy... just like me.