The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By jimw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 12:52 AM

mnmboonies is on a distinguished road
Arrow Warm fishing in September!

Hey All!

I'm new here and I'm searching out somewhere to fly fish during September that I wont freeze my butt off! PA isn't where I want to fish with insulated waders and "hot hands"!
This is the plan: my husband is going on a 10 day elk hunt to CO (I obviously wasn't invited ) in September SO I would love to catch some salt fish. I've had bones on my mind but really anything that I can get a sore arm on in a few days in the sun! I was thinking of Florida but there's alot of water down there. If anyone has suggestions, ideas, experiences... for a 4-6 day trip that wont break the bank (I'm already paying for an elk hunt!) and would be family friendly.
Thanks for any and all help!

Tight lines!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Warm fishing in September!

Welcome Boonies!

Florida in september can be good. And since its the off season there are bargainns to be had. Understand that its hot and odds are near one hundred percent you'll get an afternoon shower around 4 o'clock, but they blow over quickly so morning and night fishing is fine.

For snook and tarpon look at Everglades City. Its nice small town a bit East of Naples on the Northern end of Everglades national park. Its very family friendly and a bit of uncommercialized old Florida.

Islamorada in the Keys is always good for bones and resident tarpon.

The South east coast will be good for bonito, and probably mahi and maybe blackfins. This is assuming you want to go off shore. Palm Beach or Ft. Pierce would be where you want to look.

There are of course other salt water species, plus bass and a menagerie of exotics.Personally I prefer fishing the mangrove creeks in the Everglades, but its all good
mnmboonies likes this.

Last edited by fq13; 12-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Boonies: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with your warm wx request, but I'm sure the other members can give you some good ideas. You might do a search on Bahamas if that would interest you, there have been some good discussions on that destination in the recent past.

Larry
mnmboonies likes this.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:53 PM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Salt forum, Boonies ! Far be for me to offer specific suggestions as I am also new to the Saltwater and really know nothing other than what I've learned by lurking on this forum and reading a couple of good books. Heading to Florida doesn't sound like it will break the bank anymore than a 10 day Elk hunt out here in Colorado. I would suggest that you do some research on targeting specific species. For instance, my reading leads me to believe that fishing for snook either in the tidal mangroves of the Everglades or in the canals by lighted docks at night are both pretty productive. I am also under the impression that bluefish can be successfully caught right in the surf along the Atlantic coast of Florida. I'm sure other forum contributors would know if September is a good or bad time for either species. At any rate it sounds like a lot of fun - way more than Elk hunting: (the fun in Elk hunting ends about 10 minutes after a shot is taken. )

Holy mackerel,

The Kingfish
Old 12-27-2013, 05:07 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

September is pretty warm on the whole east coast?
mnmboonies likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 PM

mnmboonies is on a distinguished road

thanks for all of the great information! i have a ton of research to do but it's a great start! hopefully i have enough time to figure something out! If not florida, I know i can get some bent rods on the tribs of lake erie!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 PM

spike2 is on a distinguished road

Boonies
I typically fish Narragansett Bay in early to mid September. This past September was absolutely perfect sun 60s little wind and over 15 schoolies amd a couple blues (Albies are also a possibility) for a morning's outing. Send me a PM and I'll give you the name of a guide I have fished with for over six years.
Dave
Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Unless your mind set is tropical, there is some excellent fishing in the lower Chesapeake Bay area in Sept. Virginia Beach is family friendly, and there are also some excellent guides in that area. You could possibly get into Striped Bass, Bluefish, Redfish or Weakfish, plus possibly other species depending on exactly where you go down there. If that's something that tempts you, check out the website of Capt Chris Newsome. "www.bayflyfishing.com"

If nothing else Chris has some awesome fly patterns & great information about that area & saltwater fly fishing on his site!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

I go to the Key West every year in September and love it. Since its September its the off season and it isnt very crowded. Ya do have to be prepared for rain and clouds making sight fishing tough, but there are alot of fish to be caught. Depending on if I have people fishing with me I will stay near duval st, but if its a solo trip I stay outside of Key West. The people are really cool, especially if ya can find a local bar with regulars to have drinks with. I try and stay away from the tourist stuff and attractions when I go(I am there to chase the big three, drink and smoke cigars) so not alot of time for anything else. I would recommend Key West or one of the other Islands for a trip, its not to expensive, the fishing is awesome, and its just an awesome place to go.

Tight Lines
Miguel
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That's me fishing the mouth of the Kennebec River, mid-coast Maine, sometime in the middle of last September.
Notice the shorts
Believe it or not, September is when when we have the warmest water temperatures of the year on the northeast coast.
(plus the lobster is wicked cheap )

Click the image to open in full size.