The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Surf fishing IBSP Jan 2013

Island Beach State Park on the Jersey coast has a great striper migration during Dec and Jan.

I use a 9 wt St Croix or a 8 wt Orvis Clearwater with a sink tip line and white streamers (I tie everything I fish with). I tried a 6 wt, but it was way too light even for a tiny striper.

Small stripers (the locals call them rats) from 15" to 30", but very abundant and fun with a fly rod. I usually catch 10 to 20 every time I go.

I usually stay until after dark (sometimes by myself, but I'm a crazy guy) (I always carry a 380 in my pocket, I have a CC license, very legal)

Dark, quiet, solitude, and maybe the ultimate fly rod thrill? It took me a couple trips to get used to the solitude? Not many fish IBSP in the winter, and the few that do usually leave around dinner time. The park is 8 miles long. Around midnight I usually see a red fox running around the beach. One night I'm pretty sure I saw a "werewolf" sneaking around the bushes? I always wade near the shore, and I think a werewolf doesn't like to get wet?

Tight Lines,

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by rickf; 12-30-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surf fishing IBSP Jan 2013

If you keep a Bass to eat leave it buried in the wet sand to stay fresh ! From personal experience you will get to meet that werewolf ! Or the Red Fox or Raccoon who try's to dig up your Striper ! And they don't give up easy! Luckily I release them all these days and don't have to have any more epic battles with the local wildlife !
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-31-2013, 05:28 AM

dkd is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great trip! I used to fish IBSP and Sandy Hook a few times a week before I moved to Florida. Throwing big streamers in the NJ surf is without a doubt my favorite fishing.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:01 PM

ruttness will become famous soon enoughruttness will become famous soon enough

Rick just a heads up,be careful with that .380 your Pa LTCF does not cover you in NJ and that would be a nasty weapons felony to get stuck with being its a state park, and the last i had checked a non resident nj CCW was not even obtainable to a person with credentials

thanks for sharing the trip i love IBSP, my aunt and uncle used to live on LBI did my far share of surf fishing there
Old 12-31-2013, 05:00 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttness View Post
your Pa LTCF does not cover you in NJ
rut,

I didn't know that! I'll have to "buddy up" and leave my pistol home?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
rut,

I didn't know that! I'll have to "buddy up" and leave my pistol home?
unfortunately, here is a link that will let you know where and where not to go with a firearm, NJ,NY,CA and dc are places you will likely never be able to carry at. it may also be worth your time looking into open carry laws, altho its not for everyone ( and very hard to get used to) sorry to burst your bubble, i know the feeling of leaving it at home

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

How about a sling shot with a silver marble for the werewolves?
mcnerney and rickf like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Around 10 years ago there a was a rabies outbreak on Cape Cod
It wiped out the skunk and coyote population pretty much to the last one.

Both of those truly freaked me out at night.

Coyotes would surround you at a distance on the beach late nights, howling in turn to let you know that you were not welcome.
They would sometimes visit during the day also but not nearly as aggressive
We had one try to steal our lunch out of the canoe once. After we chased him off, he sat up on the bank and watched us fish for most of the afternoon

The skunks.... they just 'appeared' when not expected... and there were lots of them
mcnerney and theboz like this.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttness View Post
Rick just a heads up,be careful with that .380 your Pa LTCF does not cover you in NJ and that would be a nasty weapons felony to get stuck with being its a state park, and the last i had checked a non resident nj CCW was not even obtainable to a person with credentials
New Jersey is a "May Issue" state (as opposed to "Shall Issue") which means that they may issue you a permit if you meet their criteria. In other words, you know the right person, you are a big wig like a movie star, etc... Funny that the kind of people that can get one are the same people that can afford to have secured compounds and security personnel.

New York is the same, note that Robert Deniro has a CCW permit.

Some animals are more equal than others.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Around 10 years ago there a was a rabies outbreak on Cape Cod
It wiped out the skunk and coyote population pretty much to the last one.

Both of those truly freaked me out at night.

Coyotes would surround you at a distance on the beach late nights, howling in turn to let you know that you were not welcome.
They would sometimes visit during the day also but not nearly as aggressive
We had one try to steal our lunch out of the canoe once. After we chased him off, he sat up on the bank and watched us fish for most of the afternoon

The skunks.... they just 'appeared' when not expected... and there were lots of them
When I was living in Northern CA I used to night fish for catfish (cuz they are delicious) and the racoons would come out to play. These things were huge and scared the heck outa my buddy.

Last edited by mudbug; 01-05-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
New Jersey is a "May Issue" state (as opposed to "Shall Issue") which means that they may issue you a permit if you meet their criteria. In other words, you know the right person, you are a big wig like a movie star, etc... Funny that the kind of people that can get one are the same people that can afford to like is secured compounds and security personel.

New York is the same, note that Robert Deniro has a CCW permit.

Some animals are more equal than others.[COLOR="Silver"]

while you are correct on the "may issue" state, it is not like most other may issue states, it follows no reciprocity acts. my dad lives on the pa side of the border, his neighbor is a NJ state trooper, and is not permitied to carry a weapon in nj off duty, has been rejected on a non resident ccw, and is forced to lock his duty weapon in the barracks armory after his beat. i always have been in shock over this. being as in pa it is one of the easiest the 50 states to obtain a LTCF ( i just moved from PA to NC this past year, NC allows me to use my Pa LTCF till its experation date)

as far as the coyotes go, we have a pretty sizable pack in the woods out back, ive taken 3 of them with the AR as they were trying to get to our chickens and they all stood thier ground as i fired on them, they are definitely a proud species that lets their muscle be known