The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Galveston Salt in April

Any good to eat? The lady and I like trying fish. We don't pouch, by all means, but we like to try stuff from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Are there tarpon down there as well? Or, are they a little further out?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Trout, flounder and redfish are all superb!!! If there is one bit of advice for these is don't over cook!!

Flounder stuffed with crab meat and baked is a meal to die for.

Fried trout fillets are a real delight. if he's very big cut fillets into pieces and use your best batter, mine always has corn meal in it.

Redfish are often cooked "on the half shell". Fillet leaving the tough scaled skin on. Oil the scaled side real well as it will act at the pan. Put your "Poison" on the flesh side. We love lots of simple butter with spiced salt, many love Ranch dressing, but there's lots of choices. This is put on the grill scales down. Do not over cook, just till the meat flakes. If careful with a spatula you can lift the meat off the scaled shell.

All is best eaten with either a southern beer; Shiner, Pearl, Abita or south of the border beer; Corona, Carta Blanca, Pacifico Claro (my favorite). Chips n salsa with some guacamole are great for appetizers to get the beer and fish stories going.

Hey if you don't catch any there's a bunch of awesome seafood places on the Island starting with Giados.

It's all good.

Pete A.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Nice Pacifico is my favorite as well. But, I like negra, corona, dos Equis, etc., as well. Thanks for that.

Aren't freshwater drum similar in taste to the redfish? Or, is that a fable?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

That's what they say but I think they look dopey so never keep 'em. Don't seem to respond to flies like a redfish.

Also Sheepshead hits flies fairly regularly. Good fighters but a booger bear to clean, sharp fins and tough bones. You'll find these most often around oyster reefs but hard to target. Kind of a target of opportunity.

Look at the pic's, bring a net!! All of the fish have teeth and are very tough to handle. Flounder are close to impossible to handle without one.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 PM

That flounder looks awesome! Any puglisi patterns that work?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Been meaning to chime in on this.

All the info you've gotten is pretty accurate.

Let me know as the day gets closer. I might join you around that day. Might even take the skiff out. Know of a couple of spots that might work out. I'm no expert but enjoy throwing the flies out in the salt.

We can get a couple of other folks to go out in kayaks as well. I've sold mine but rentals are reasonable for the day.

Let me know.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 PM

I'm actually going to purchase a skiff later on this year for warm water flats. So if you don't mind taking it out, that will give me an idea if I actually want one or not.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
Been meaning to chime in on this.

All the info you've gotten is pretty accurate.

Let me know as the day gets closer. I might join you around that day. Might even take the skiff out. Know of a couple of spots that might work out. I'm no expert but enjoy throwing the flies out in the salt.

We can get a couple of other folks to go out in kayaks as well. I've sold mine but rentals are reasonable for the day.

Let me know.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I paddle and have 2 extra kayaks if this turns in to a group thing and I can make it, I can throw an extra kayak in the pick-up. If you ever need a partner in the skiff, let me know. I would be happy to split costs for a day of fishing whenever.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
I'm actually going to purchase a skiff later on this year for warm water flats. So if you don't mind taking it out, that will give me an idea if I actually want one or not.

Skiffs are awesome. I got a small 16ft Carolina skiff. Not the newest but for my first its a great little boat. Im gonna run it to the ground and learning in the process

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie182 View Post
I paddle and have 2 extra kayaks if this turns in to a group thing and I can make it, I can throw an extra kayak in the pick-up. If you ever need a partner in the skiff, let me know. I would be happy to split costs for a day of fishing whenever.
Aggie, for sure man.

I know you're on tkf as well and know youre full of knowledge so Im definitely up for a trip to the salt.

Maybe a couple of weeks from now we can head out. Already got plans for this weekend

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Nice! I'm looking at a mako skiff. They're reasonably priced. They say they only draw 8" of water.