The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Galveston Salt in April

Hello all,

I'll be in Houston on easter weekend and I plan on heading somewhere to fish. Is Galveston a good place to hit the salt during that time? What's the target fish at that time?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Galveston Salt in April

No one on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I have no experience in that area, but from what I've read, they do catch a variety of fish there. Redfish & Seatrout (Weakfish), as well as Flounder seem to be common targets. April should be a good time to be there.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

I grew up in Galveston I can try to help. Will you have a boat, kayak, or just wading in? Wanting to book a guide or DIY?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 AM

I'm wading in and doing it on my own unless a forum member from that area wants to join.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

First challenge will be the crowds. By then we are warm and lots of people head to the island for fishing and fun. So expect lost of folks.

Surf is a very iffy proposition, seldom good in the spring and vacationers will be there too.

If you are staying on the island try anywhere at night under the lights. Flashy streamers are good here.

Try the "lagoon" at the far east end of the island. Redfish and flounder are best targets. Clousers, SeaDucers and BendBacks in blends of Yellow, Chartruese, Reds, browns. Bring insect repellent as mosquitos can be an issue.

Galveston Island State Park have way down the island is a good place to try also. Again expect crowds but you may run into other "fly guys" who can help you.

8wt med fast with salt water taper is combination of first choice. 12-15# tippets Keep you flies close to the grass. Fish rising or falling tides.

When around the grass watch out for rattle snakes as they will be active then, don't be scared but cautious. If you wade (best way for visiting angler) understand stingrays are everywhere so always always always slide your feet when wading.

Good shops in Houston are; Fishing Tackle Unlimited , I Fly both have great people and supplies for fly fisherman.

Good luck,

Pete A.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

What about kayaking out a little ways? Also, I didn't know that rattle snakes were that close to the ocean. I thought they stayed more inland. What type of rattle snakes are there, mainly? Diamondback?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Try: texaskayakfisherman.com lots of info there from lots of 'yakers. Might even get a trip set with some locals.

Lots of people use kayaks all over the bays and into the surf. The surf is more for live/dead bait for reds, sharks and such. Bays here work great for 'yaks.

Again Easter weekend is a very high traffic time so plan on seeing boats and other fisherman close. I typically stay at home Easter, Memorial Day, 4th, Labor Day as bays/rivers/lakes are crowded.

I like mine for transportation then get out and wade fish.

Rattlesnakes are where ever there is land and in the salt grass. common in the dune area and salt marshes. Not trying to spook you but to be aware.

Same places I mentioned are good starting points with a 'yak and have fish.

Pete A.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM

That sounds quite awesome! What all species of fish could I get into down there?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Most sought after with a fly rod are redfish and "spec's" (spotted weakfish). Flounder often when fly fishing for reds. Occasionally a marauding Jack Crevalle (jackfish) show up.

Pete A.