The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 PM

mort is on a distinguished road
Default Florida Keys Fly recs

Fishing in the Florida Keys the last week of April this year. We are fishing with a guide for Tarpon but will have some free time on our arrival day and evenings. We will be staying in the Islamorada area. Can anyone recommend some flies for fishing from shore or wading for snook, jacks etc that may be potential targets on the flyrod fishing on our own? Sizes and colour combos would be appreciated. I get the impression that the flies used in Florida are bigger than the ones we used in Belize.

What tarpon flies work best in the Islamorada area? We want to bring some of our own flies to use in addition to the guides. Tarpon Toads, cockroaches, deceivers?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Keys Fly recs

Fishing from the shore in Islamorada in April you will encounter Jacks, Barracuda , various Sharks , Ladyfish and a host of Snsppers and Grunts. No Snook. Bonefish can be had as well as Tarpon at the bridges. Crazy Charlies and Moefish flys for Bones and various bottom fish. Cockroaches and Brown Toads for the Tarpon. Just about any streamer with a little flash will take Jacks and Cudas and many other species.
Good luck , you won't need because the fishing is off the charts . I'll be there in March. Who is your guide?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Thanks Boz!
We hired guide Randy Stallings.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM

what size hooks do you typically use for your flies there boz? something like a Gama SL11-3H in size 1 or 1/0 for your streamers? Daiichi 2546 Size 2,4 for bones? 1/0, 2/0 Owner Aki for tarpon?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Thanks Boz!
We hired guide Randy Stallings.
Wow! We will be down there the same time. We are staying in Islamorada as well. Anyway, last year my brother and I went out with Randy. He put us on tarpon, but we couldn't make the shots. It was our first time out in the salt, and it showed. I believe he was getting frustrated with us, but that was to be expected, as he was doing his job, and we weren't.

I don't know if you've been down there before, but last year was our first trip. We loved it down there, hence our return trip this year. As for other flies, we were fishing out the back of our house using crazy charlies in pink and white and catching barracuda pretty easily. Hopefully this year we will hook up with a tarpon. I am starting to practice and knock the rust off now, so I won't (hopefully, but not likely) make a fool out of myself this year.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
what size hooks do you typically use for your flies there boz? something like a Gama SL11-3H in size 1 or 1/0 for your streamers? Daiichi 2546 Size 2,4 for bones? 1/0, 2/0 Owner Aki for tarpon?
1/0 thru 3/0 depending on the fish. 2,4 even 6 for Bones .

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Try Bou Bossa as a guide! You won't regret it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser