The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt fishing without stripping

Cast and mend, floating line. Traditional fly fishing methods.
If you use a subsurface line, you'll have no choice but to strip it.

I use 2 streamers most of the time. A big one chasing a little one.

I tie a 3 part leader of about 8' with 4 feet of 40# butt, 2 feet of 25, and 2 feet of 16# tippet.
With your leader shorter than your rod, you don't have to worry about the line/leader knot getting caught up in the tip-top while you're struggling to land a fish.
I use a loop2loop connection between the mid section of the leader and the tippet and when I tie the loop in the tippet material, I leave a tag of about 8-10 inches to tie on the dropper.
It won't tangle as long as you cast with an open loop.... don't worry about that.

Fishing with 2 streamers is great fun. I once got doubles 6 casts in a row. However those were little dinks.

When there's big fish around, take off the dropper after you learn which fly they like better.
I once made the mistake of casting to a pair of legal fish that I saw cruising in the surf.
Hooked 'em both... never again will I do that
Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have never been south where some of you lucky *******s are sight casting to fish....someday I' ll be there, when I retire.....but I imagine the kind of fishing I am asking about would be not very practical down there
Sight fishing is my favorite way to fish for tarpon, bones and reds. But, in my case, the guys I used to sight fish with for tarpon have all departed except a couple who no longer lives here and only returns sporatically for short visits.

Dead drifting flies late in the day and into the night (in a good area) is probably at least 20 times more effective a way to actually hook up to a large tarpon during the migration than sight casting to dozens of cruising fish during the day, especially for those without a lot of handle time on large rods.

In fact, it is not even necessary after dark to be able cast at all; simply anchoring down and stripping line out behind the boat will work most of the time, so long as one guy can cast well enough and has enough endurance to cover a lot of water to locate where the fish are hanging if none are rolling or busting on top. Most of the time, fishing that way with a lively fly (bunny tail) is even more productive than fishing live crabs once the current picks up.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

The only time I've fished this way is night fishing during a strong outgoing tide where snook are popping shrimp....then I'll dead drift it past docks, etc...
Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponfly49 View Post
The only time I've fished this way is night fishing during a strong outgoing tide where snook are popping shrimp....then I'll dead drift it past docks, etc...
At night stripers will set themselves up in a strong rip and pop on shrimp and cinder worms.
Using a small gurgler, I'll cast to them just like you would fish a dry fly to a trout.
The fastest part of the rip changes position as the tide drops. The trick is to find it in the dark
Old 01-18-2014, 11:45 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponfly49 View Post

As a northerner I always read about permit, tarpon, bones...the snook is not mentioned nearly as often, but what I have read about them , sounds like NE striper techniques woukd work on them at night.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I went to a spot today where a large lagoon drains into a tidal flat, and there is a decent current going out during low tide. It fished it the same way I would've fished a river... just cast accross and down, mend and let it my streamer drift, giving it a little action here or there. Picked up six jack crevalle and a little snapper.

Also, had a decently sized tarpon follow my fly in the same spot when stripping in some slacker water. Pushed a big v-wake and got my heart racing, but never got a strike.