The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Salt fishing without stripping

Anybody here use currents and the natural pulse of the fly to fish....in other words not stripping the line in ....more like what the dry fly guys would call " real" fly fishing?

I started trying this at the end of the season but ran out of time, I would like to do more of this , this year.

I should mention I am a NE strped bass fisherman, which for me, means 90 plus percent of the time I am blind casting stripping...blind cast strip etc etcetc sometimes blind cast ..drift strip strip strip

Which is why the idea of setting up a fly in a current and letting the action of the fly do its part appeals to me.

I have never been south where some of you lucky *******s are sight casting to fish....someday I' ll be there, when I retire.....but I imagine the kind of fishing I am asking about would be not very practical down there
Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Salt fishing without stripping

Hey,

It's been awhile since I've seen you post

Rip Tide will be the answer to this, that's my guess. I do it here when I fish in the shore surf. If there is a drift I use it like a river current.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, "real" fly fishing methods work well in the salt
Cast, mend, dead drift, mend again. Salt water game fish use current and structure just like their fresh water cousins.
In the picture, I'm high stick dead drifting a pair of streamers in the long shore current but you can also fish a crab or sea worm fly the same way.
Bait can get disoriented in the surf and the gamefish know to search the trough right at the edge of the whitewater.
A long rod helps to pick up and mend the floating line over the breakers.
Notice that my stripping basket is behind my back. You don't need one for this type of fishing. You're not using a lot of line, and you're not stripping

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Riptide, are you using weighted streamers?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Riptide, are you using weighted streamers?
In that picture... no. I wanted my flies to appear as if they were stunned by the surf.
If you're fishing something like a crab or a worm, then they'll need to be weighted and hug the bottom to look as if they're trying to burrow in the sand.

In the surf, it's most important to be able to feel the connection to the fly.
That could mean a weighted fly or just something that resists the pull of the current.
You've got to keep in touch.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Are you using a full sinking line for the hug the bottom technique and intermediate line for the stunned by the surf one?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Floating line.

Only with a floating line can you mend like you would with "real" fly fishing.
With an intermediate or sinking line you don't have the control. The waves and the current take control of your line and the only way to take it back is to strip. And that's not what we're interested in.

Plus a sinking line will only drag your fly through the sand. If you're using a stainless hook, your fly will be dull and worthless in minutes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Thank you Rip tide,

I am now returning the microphone to the original poster.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM

catspaw is on a distinguished road

That's how the big flatwings fish best.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Thanks riptide.

So :

1) floating line
2) cast and mend?
3) streamers? Pair ? Tied how far apart ?
4) leader length? Tapered necessary?