The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bigger Flies = Bigger fish?

I've been told by some guides that bonefish can be caught on flies or jigs tied on hooks as large as 2/0. The bigger ones can easily get a hook that big in their mouths. However, something that big would be for deep water fishing, not skinny water flats. The primary reason small flies, even down to size 8 ( and I've heard of down to a 10 but never tied any that small) are used for shallow flats fishing & bonefish, is to reduce the splash noise the fly makes when it lands, not that bones won't eat bigger offerings. Some of the guides I tied flies for in the Fl Keys often used size 2 or even size 1 flies for Bonefish, as the water was a bit deeper than the skinny water flats elsewhere.

IMO, if you're "prospecting" & not targeting a specific species, try something considerably bigger than the size 4 you've been casting, and adjust for certain species & water conditions. ( depth & or clarity)

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Friend of mine caught a steelhead on a #18 emerger and bluegills will attack a #8 flie. Ain't fishing great?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
Friend of mine caught a steelhead on a #18 emerger and bluegills will attack a #8 flie. Ain't fishing great?
Yeah, my buddy caught a steelhead on the Deschutes with a size 16 flashback pheasant tail while we were fishing for redsides... that river can be exciting